The Student Room Group

Is time travel possible?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Nirvana1989-1994
One of the big questions of life is, will we ever time travel?

Technically, we already time travel at a rate of 1 hour per hour. But, most interest in in whether we can time travel to the past of at a faster rate to the future, and return back to the present, like in multimedia from popular culture (Doctor Who, and Back to the Future), but, scientists say that this may not be possible. Taking into account a notion, created by Albert Einstein, called Special Relativity. This theory says that space and time are really aspects of the same thing which is space-time. There's a speed limit of 300,000 kilometers per second for anything that travels through space-time, and light always travels the speed limit through empty space. Special Relativity also says that a surprising thing happens when you move through space-time, especially when your speed relative to other objects is close to the speed of light. Time goes slower for you than for the people you left behind. You won't notice this effect until you return to those stationary people. For example, if you were 15 years old when you left Earth in a spacecraft traveling at about 3/4 of the speed of light, which is much faster than we can achieve now, and celebrated only five birthdays during your space voyage. When you get home at the age of 20, you would find that all your classmates were 65 years old. Because time passed more slowly for you, you will have experienced only five years of life, while your classmates will have experienced a full 50 years.

From some essay I did ages ago. Meh.

What
Original post by TheGoodPharaoh
What

Tl;dr we can't time travel to the past or further into the future.
Original post by Nirvana1989-1994
Tl;dr we can't time travel to the past or further into the future.

What
Original post by TheGoodPharaoh
What

:colonhash:
Reply 24
You're travelling into the future now. Or is the future travelling towards you? And is it happening now? What is now? What is time? Who knows?!

Posted from TSR Mobile
If I could turn back time........ :moon:
Reply 26
Time travel is not possible! I know my theory might sound you stupid or a fictional story but just think about it.

NM = Newtonian Mechanics

Time travel will violate a law which I call Law of Conservation of Events. As travelling in time will affect all the subsequent events. Lets consider a guy called Mr. A who live is 3017 and this guy got a time machine. Mr. A is also aware of all NM which Newton invented (1667–1668). Mr. A thinks now he got a time machine so he should travel back in time before Newton like in 1300 and tell them about Newtonian Mechanics. Mr. A believes that by doing this the rate of advancement in science will speed up.

He goes back in time and tell them all about Newtonian Mechanics. Now people from 1300 already knows all NM. Newton comes in 1667 and there is nothing left to invent (in terms of newtonian mechanics) as people already know which we call NM. So there's gonna be an unanswered question who actually invented Newtonian Mechanics? This is the violation of Law of conservation of events.

Hence! Time travel is not possible

Someone might argue what if Mr. A is able to travel but he never alters these events. My argument is that the question is not if he alters past events or not but the question is if he could alter past event or not.
if some how we were able to travel as fast as light then yes
Reply 28
ty for the input :smile: I ended up getting an A* by just making it so the the teacher marking didn't understand it

Quick Reply

Latest