The Student Room Group

Commuting

Is it possible to travel from London to the Uni of Kent without paying £40 per train ride? I’ve seen people commute from London to various unis but I haven’t found info regarding Kent. Thank u
@University of Kent @University of Kent Reps Would be the best ones to answer this but from our side (we are just down the hill from UKC!) another option you have is coach travel. There is a drop off point off point at the UKC campus which you would be able to use :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by CCCUOfficial
@University of Kent @University of Kent Reps Would be the best ones to answer this but from our side (we are just down the hill from UKC!) another option you have is coach travel. There is a drop off point off point at the UKC campus which you would be able to use :smile:

Thank you for ur response! Can I ask how much the coach travel would roughly be?
Original post by koko1244
Thank you for ur response! Can I ask how much the coach travel would roughly be?

It's not too bad but it would depend on where you live and if the timetable matches your lecture days. You can also get a coach card for a further discount, you can check out some more info on this here.

Have a look on the link below, you can also get the coach to Canterbury Bus Station which isn't far from the campus if it doesn't go via the Uni of Kent stop.

https://www.nationalexpress.com/en
Is it possible to travel from London to the Uni of Kent without paying £40 per train ride? I’ve seen people commute from London to various unis but I haven’t found info regarding Kent. Thank u

Hi @koko1244,

I hope you're keeping well. :smile:

Yes, it is possible to travel from London to the University of Kent without paying £40 per train ride. If you have an 18-25 Railcard, you can get a single train ticket for ~ £9 (I normally order my tickets online on the Trainline App). The journey takes around 1 hour and 20 minutes, and is usually the one I get when travelling away from Canterbury. You can also travel by coach, which is sometimes a few pounds cheaper. The journey time is around 2 hours.

I normally take the Southeastern train from London Victoria to Canterbury West, which departs roughly every 30 minutes and the journey takes around 1 hour and 20 minutes. Coach meanwhile will take around 2 hours instead (though sometimes trains can also take 2 hours depending on their route).

Hope this helps! :smile:

If you have any more questions, please don't hesitate to ask! :biggrin:

Warm regards,

David :smile:
University of Kent Representative
Reply 5
Original post by University of Kent
Hi @koko1244,

I hope you're keeping well. :smile:

Yes, it is possible to travel from London to the University of Kent without paying £40 per train ride. If you have an 18-25 Railcard, you can get a single train ticket for ~ £9 (I normally order my tickets online on the Trainline App). The journey takes around 1 hour and 20 minutes, and is usually the one I get when travelling away from Canterbury. You can also travel by coach, which is sometimes a few pounds cheaper. The journey time is around 2 hours.

I normally take the Southeastern train from London Victoria to Canterbury West, which departs roughly every 30 minutes and the journey takes around 1 hour and 20 minutes. Coach meanwhile will take around 2 hours instead (though sometimes trains can also take 2 hours depending on their route).

Hope this helps! :smile:

If you have any more questions, please don't hesitate to ask! :biggrin:

Warm regards,

Thank u so much for the response, it’s really helpful! Can I ask where to find the ticket that cost £9? And is it possible to leave from Stratford International instead of London Victoria?
Thank u so much for the response, it’s really helpful! Can I ask where to find the ticket that cost £9? And is it possible to leave from Stratford International instead of London Victoria?

Sure, I'm not sure if the link will work, but here I'll try to attach a link related to some £9.50 singles on Sunday.
Obviously, it won't always be £9.50 due to rush hour, and whatnot, but for personal experience, I've always been able to find them on Fridays and Sundays when I've needed to travel for the weekend. :smile:

As for Stratford International, I don't think so unfortunately. You can get some tickets where you go from Stratford to Ashford, then change platforms to go from Ashford to Canterbury West, but these take more time, and in my experience, can cost like £20 more - so it's not really worth it personally.

I hope this helps :smile:

If you have any more questions, please feel free to ask!

Best,

Edit: I've done some checking, and found some tickets from St Pancras Intenational to Canterbury West here, which ranges from ~£10 -£13, however, some have changes, but others don't! So, that's good news for you! Just make sure that you properly make sure to plan before leaving, so as to not miss, have to change platforms, or overspend (as I learnt the hard way :frown:, oh well)
(edited 8 months ago)

As David just said, it will tend to be mor expensive from Stratforf Intl. This is because it is the highspeed service, so you pay a premium for time it saves you.
Reply 8
Original post by University of Kent
Sure, I'm not sure if the link will work, but here I'll try to attach a link related to some £9.50 singles on Sunday.
Obviously, it won't always be £9.50 due to rush hour, and whatnot, but for personal experience, I've always been able to find them on Fridays and Sundays when I've needed to travel for the weekend. :smile:

As for Stratford International, I don't think so unfortunately. You can get some tickets where you go from Stratford to Ashford, then change platforms to go from Ashford to Canterbury West, but these take more time, and in my experience, can cost like £20 more - so it's not really worth it personally.

I hope this helps :smile:

If you have any more questions, please feel free to ask!

Best,

Edit: I've done some checking, and found some tickets from St Pancras Intenational to Canterbury West here, which ranges from ~£10 -£13, however, some have changes, but others don't! So, that's good news for you! Just make sure that you properly make sure to plan before leaving, so as to not miss, have to change platforms, or overspend (as I learnt the hard way :frown:, oh well)

The link works, thank you for your advice and your time it’s been really helpful ! 😄
The link works, thank you for your advice and your time it’s been really helpful ! 😄

I'm always more than happy to help! :smile:

Take care,

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending