The Student Room Group

Gap year travel buddy

Hi, I’m planning on doing a gap year next year 2024-2025 after I have finished my A-levels. Not sure exact dates yet. I’m planning on travelling in Asia and Australia and possibly America or other places if I have saved enough money. I’m looking for people to travel with especially since it’s my first time travelling I’m not sure if I’m totally comfortable with going solo yet. If anyone has similar problems or knows of any groups/websites that would be great. Thanks :smile:
Reply 1
Original post by Nicole_l
Hi, I’m planning on doing a gap year next year 2024-2025 after I have finished my A-levels. Not sure exact dates yet. I’m planning on travelling in Asia and Australia and possibly America or other places if I have saved enough money. I’m looking for people to travel with especially since it’s my first time travelling I’m not sure if I’m totally comfortable with going solo yet. If anyone has similar problems or knows of any groups/websites that would be great. Thanks :smile:

You could try volunteer sites or group travel sites. Icr the name of any specific companies and I've only travelled solo but you can search for gap year, group travel, volunteer abroad etc and make sure you check the ratings as you don't want to pay a disreputable company. Bear in mind I was looking for something similar and you should expect over £1k if you're planning on leaving Europe and definitely more if you're travelling for several weeks/months. Maybe consider a working holiday like childcare (in the US) or working on a farm (in Australia).
Reply 2
I will check those out, thank you. My only concern is that some of the ones I’ve looked at have been way more expensive to go as a group through a program than if I did it myself separately. I am aiming to save over 5,000 if possible as I’ve been saving for a couple of years already and have also been looking at round the world flight tickets For cheaper options. Do you have any advice on travelling solo?
Reply 3
I will check those out, thank you. My only concern is that some of the ones I’ve looked at have been way more expensive to go as a group through a program than if I did it myself separately. I am aiming to save over 5,000 if possible as I’ve been saving for a couple of years already and have also been looking at round the world flight tickets For cheaper options. Do you have any advice on travelling solo?

Hey, I've also recently completed my sixth form. I'm thinking of traveling.
Reply 4

Hey, I'm also actually looking to travel solo but never really traveled before. I've just done my sixth form
Reply 5
Hi, i’m going to be taking my exams in may/june and amreally interested in going to australia for a 6/8weeks/more/less/whatever i don’t really care i just wantto go lol. I don’t have anyone to go with either and amnot rlly fussed about what I do there/where I go. if thatfits with what you want to do message lmk!
Original post by omgwhoisit
Hi, i’m going to be taking my exams in may/june and amreally interested in going to australia for a 6/8weeks/more/less/whatever i don’t really care i just wantto go lol. I don’t have anyone to go with either and amnot rlly fussed about what I do there/where I go. if thatfits with what you want to do message lmk!
I'm trying to find someone to do a little trip/volunteering in Europe with, but I'm going to Australia and NZ straight after my a-levels in june, so exited!! Where were you planning on going in Australia?
Reply 7
Hi. I’m in the same circumstance and taking a gap year after I finish my a levels this year aswell. I am currently booked on to the South America trip with GapForce that looks amazing. My experience booking with them has been really easy this far but I am nervous about not knowing anyone on the trip. I plan to travel solo around Europe later in the year as I haven’t been able to convince any of my friends to take a year out hahaha.
Reply 8
hey im currently on a gap year rn, u can do different things like camp thailand/camp America which is rlly good if u wanna go solo travelling and be in a group of other solo travellers. :smile:
Original post by niarose
Hi. I’m in the same circumstance and taking a gap year after I finish my a levels this year aswell. I am currently booked on to the South America trip with GapForce that looks amazing. My experience booking with them has been really easy this far but I am nervous about not knowing anyone on the trip. I plan to travel solo around Europe later in the year as I haven’t been able to convince any of my friends to take a year out hahaha.
I'm so interested to know how much this costs as it's my dream to travel South America tbh!!
Original post by Anonymous #1
I'm so interested to know how much this costs as it's my dream to travel South America tbh!!

not to warn you off but my friend just went out to south America and came back after a week because he was jumped and robbed at knifepoint (by a gang) twice…

not the safest of places tbh (in fact i think it’s the most dangerous place to gap year travel probs.) anyway😆
I’m also thinking of going to Australia!

heyy! wish I had seen this 9 months ago!! I didn't apply to uni this year as I knew I was definelty taking a gap and I also plan on travelling.. lmk if you're still interested! I would recommend having a look at Gotoco too they do free funded TEFL programmes to Asia and Europe!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending