The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Moonview Highway
Hmm... well the whole idea of women's roles in society seems quite prominent and how they are treated by society in general. I think sacrifice is quite a key area within this, like Lizzie's for Laura in Goblin Market and the self-sacrifice of Nora and Christine.

Feel free to message me if you want to exchange essay plans / notes, I am studying A Doll's House x Rossetti too, along with The Handmaid's Tale, 1984 and Twelfth Night (predicted A/A*)
Original post by iamlucy
Hey sorry for such a **** reply!

Ah thank you! And what a crazy fact, if you can get that into your essay I will be incredibly impressed :wink:

Hmm, see for the Rossetti and Doll's House comparison I'm putting a lot of emphasis into learning about the position of women and anything that relates to their position in society - finance, morals, etc - as I really feel that's a possible contender for a question... in fact, other than society, morality or loss, I can't think of much else they could really do, perhaps desire, but I'd be stuck writing about Goblin market for half the essay!

The Bloody chamber and Dracula are definitely a weak point, but those gothic elements are very likely to appear, I was considering the presentation of women in Gothic as a potential question too, they really seem to be driving feminism but I doubt both questions would be orientated towards women. The gothic setting was a sample question luckily, so I think that we might be saved from learning it :wink: I think metamorphosis and the supernatural will be the things I revise most because you can really manipulate them into a range of questions.

I really haven't done much english revision! Chemistry and biology have ruined my life, what about you?

Feel free to message me if you want to exchange essay plans / notes, I am studying A Doll's House x Rossetti too, along with The Handmaid's Tale, 1984 and Twelfth Night (predicted A/A*)
Original post by charliewalford
is there any possibility that there wont be a question for a doll's house/rossetti on gender/power or marriage

Original post by professor2307
Who out here is studying:

Drama and poetry pre-1900
1.a/b. Richard III
2. A Doll's House & Rossetti Selected Poems

Comparative and contextual study
1. Gothic Critical Appreciation
2. Frankenstein/ The Bloody Chamber

Original post by Jasminefederer

Can you think of any other possible thematic essay questions may come up for rossetti/ibsen other than gender/power?
Reply 65
My teacher told us that only 8 poems were prominent in our study for A Doll's House and Rossetti:
Shut out,
Winter my secret,
Remember,
Good Friday,
Soeur Louise,
When I am dear my dearest,
Maude Clare,
No thank you John

Feel free to add others though - we have been told to do at least 2 poems in a lot detail and then cross reference :smile:
Reply 66
We have been taught these thematic concerns- Rossetti and Ibsen-
1) Religion and its role in contemporary society.
2)Authencity
3)Moral freedom
4)interrogative rather than declarative
5) The legacy of the past.
6)Exposing the institution of marriage as a means to commodity women
7) re-asserting and redefining the female voice.
8) 'The Male - Gaze' - winter my secret - no thank you John - Nora - tarentella - the way she takes off the dress - walks out
9)Woman as sexualised object.
10) Subversion of masculine logic-
Nora ' settiling of accounts' - winter my secret - no thank you john.
11)challenging society's accepted constructions of women.
12) capitalism : the rise of the petite bourgeoisie
13) Assertion of independence and agency.
14) Victorian norms
15) Femal hysteria
16) Sacrifice and death
17 ) death / suicide.
18) Moral sickness and disease.
19) Languahe and the individual
20) Desire/ love
21) Temptation
22) Identity
23) Memory

Any more?
Original post by Flohigs
We have been taught these thematic concerns- Rossetti and Ibsen-
1) Religion and its role in contemporary society.
2)Authencity
3)Moral freedom
4)interrogative rather than declarative
5) The legacy of the past.
6)Exposing the institution of marriage as a means to commodity women
7) re-asserting and redefining the female voice.
8) 'The Male - Gaze' - winter my secret - no thank you John - Nora - tarentella - the way she takes off the dress - walks out
9)Woman as sexualised object.
10) Subversion of masculine logic-
Nora ' settiling of accounts' - winter my secret - no thank you john.
11)challenging society's accepted constructions of women.
12) capitalism : the rise of the petite bourgeoisie
13) Assertion of independence and agency.
14) Victorian norms
15) Femal hysteria
16) Sacrifice and death
17 ) death / suicide.
18) Moral sickness and disease.
19) Languahe and the individual
20) Desire/ love
21) Temptation
22) Identity
23) Memory

Any more?

Jesus thats a lot - do you really think we could be asked on any of those themes?
Reply 68
Original post by charliewalford
Jesus thats a lot - do you really think we could be asked on any of those themes?

No but when you are comparing them you could say both Ibsen and Rossetti explore the constitution of marriage. One way Ibsen views marriage is as quoted 'ruining the human race' - talk about the view it needs to be changed. Rossetti however in her Ballard poem Maude Clare explores the true nature of the Victorian woman in the time....
Original post by Jasminefederer

That'd be great, looks like we're on the same wavelength! We're only covering Rossetti and Ibsen however. What and how can we exchange notes? Email?
Well. It's taken a week, but 45 pages of notes later, I think I'm good:biggrin::biggrin:

Dracula and the bloody chamber really is a *****, if anyone else is doing this combination, I'd be interested at what kind of points you're focussing on. I've stuck to metamorphosis, women and horror, I feel they're fairly expansive in what they cover and can be manipulated depending on question choice.

All in all, nail your context people, you can pretty much bend any point in english providing you have a loose backing and thorough explanation.
Original post by iamlucy
Well. It's taken a week, but 45 pages of notes later, I think I'm good:biggrin::biggrin:

Dracula and the bloody chamber really is a *****, if anyone else is doing this combination, I'd be interested at what kind of points you're focussing on. I've stuck to metamorphosis, women and horror, I feel they're fairly expansive in what they cover and can be manipulated depending on question choice.

All in all, nail your context people, you can pretty much bend any point in english providing you have a loose backing and thorough explanation.

I'll agree with you there! Have you considered sublime, settings, locations, women, men?
Original post by professor2307
I'll agree with you there! Have you considered sublime, settings, locations, women, men?

Hmm, the sublime would certainly be something I could look at - I think I'd try to bend metamorphosis and the features of horror into that, but thank you, I should get some more solid points- thank you!

For women I've always got points about men to contrast so I suppose I've looked at both genders and, it's wishful thinking that might backfire!, but AQA's sample questions are focussed on setting in Gothic, so I'm praying since they've used it in the sample papers...they won't try again :wink:
I'm a bit late to this thread (didn't know it existed) but am glad I found it!
I'm studying:
For drama & poetry: Hamlet, Rossetti and A Doll's House
Comparative/Contextual (US Lit): The Great Gatsby, The Grapes of Wrath (also done wider reading work on The Sound & The Fury, A Farewell to Arms, Huck Finn) :smile:

How's everyone feeling about the exams?
I'm a little scared but also slightly excited to see what the questions will be :biggrin:
I've been having nightmares about the Hamlet part of the exam (Paper 1, Section 1) as we only get one Essay question and no choice.

How is everyone approaching it and revising for it?
Original post by alldaydreaming
I'm a bit late to this thread (didn't know it existed) but am glad I found it!
I'm studying:
For drama & poetry: Hamlet, Rossetti and A Doll's House
Comparative/Contextual (US Lit): The Great Gatsby, The Grapes of Wrath (also done wider reading work on The Sound & The Fury, A Farewell to Arms, Huck Finn) :smile:

How's everyone feeling about the exams?
I'm a little scared but also slightly excited to see what the questions will be :biggrin:

Ahh, US lit, awesome!!! What kinds of themes do you think might come up? I've been looking a lot at family, marriages and relationships in GG and GoW!

(I'm so nervous too, but it's my final exam so i'm putting it out my mind for now)
Original post by blue2337
Ahh, US lit, awesome!!! What kinds of themes do you think might come up? I've been looking a lot at family, marriages and relationships in GG and GoW!

(I'm so nervous too, but it's my final exam so i'm putting it out my mind for now)

Yay! Haven't seen many people studying US Lit.

Our focus in class has been more on themes like: Isolation, The American Dream, The Wall Street Crash/The Great Depression, The Deep South, Gender Roles, Prejudice and Discrimination, Society, The Nature of Humanity, Fellowship/Solidarity, Morality and Escapism

Let me know if you think of any more themes - I have a mindmap somewhere of themes so I'll try & find it in case we've missed anything obvious

We've looked at family a little bit too and relationships but haven't really looked at relationships in detail - so that's what I'll be doing next, I guess :smile:
What grade boundaries are everyone's teachers using?

My teachers are using the old spec OCR grade boundaries which they think are pretty high - 55/60 for an A & probably around 57 or 58/60 for an A*.
I'd always thought if you could get Level 6 in all your responses that would be an A/A* surely? But I guess it probably won't be enough :colonhash:

Any thoughts?
Is there anyone at all here studying Measure for Measure..?
Original post by alldaydreaming
What grade boundaries are everyone's teachers using?

My teachers are using the old spec OCR grade boundaries which they think are pretty high - 55/60 for an A & probably around 57 or 58/60 for an A*.
I'd always thought if you could get Level 6 in all your responses that would be an A/A* surely? But I guess it probably won't be enough :colonhash:

Any thoughts?

If that's case, then I'm absolutely screwed and not getting into university. Personally that would be ridiculously high, it's the first year of the specification so I hope it's lower.

Latest

Trending

Trending