The Student Room Group

Newcastle Applicants for 2018 entry a100 and a101

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1800
Yeah thats what they do
(Successful A101 applicant, but friends got offered A100 after they were unsuccessful)
(edited 5 years ago)
Hi guys,
Was just wondering wether it would be worth applying to both A100 and A101. I’m currently on course for a 1:1 in Biomed however my A levels aren’t great! Would it be worth applying to A100 , or will I get the boot! I really want to maximise my chance in the 1st cycle
Original post by dvam
Hey, does anyone know if Newcastle gives offers to graduates for the A100 course who have applied to the A101 (graduate) course but aren't 'good' enough, and gives them offers for their A100 course instead?

Hey dvam,

I've checked this with our Medical School for you and they have advised the following:

'Students will be considered for either A100 or A101. Applicants may also apply for both programmes, but students who don’t quite meet the cutoff for A101 don’t get an A100 offer.'

So, ideally apply for both if you aren't sure you'll meet the requirements 😊

Hope this helps,

Susie
Original post by Chez231
Hi guys,
Was just wondering wether it would be worth applying to both A100 and A101. I’m currently on course for a 1:1 in Biomed however my A levels aren’t great! Would it be worth applying to A100 , or will I get the boot! I really want to maximise my chance in the 1st cycle

Hey Chez231,

I can confirm that it is worth applying to both courses if you aren't quite sure you'll meet the requirements 😊

Hope this helps,

Susie
Original post by Newcastle University
Hey Chez231,

I can confirm that it is worth applying to both courses if you aren't quite sure you'll meet the requirements 😊

Hope this helps,

Susie

Awesome I’ll apply to both if it’ll maximise my chances
Reply 1805
Hey Chez231,

Hope this helps,

Susie

So there are two cut offs for graduates wanting to study medicine. A higher one for the poor and a lower one for the rich. The option of applying for both (if you are not sure you will meet the requirements) is only available to those that are able to pay £9000 fees per year and living costs for the duration of the course. Why should the rich be able to buy themselves access to a medical course?
Reply 1806
Hey dvam,

I've checked this with our Medical School for you and they have advised the following:

'Students will be considered for either A100 or A101. Applicants may also apply for both programmes, but students who don’t quite meet the cutoff for A101 don’t get an A100 offer.'

So, ideally apply for both if you aren't sure you'll meet the requirements 😊

Hope this helps,

Susie

Just want to clarify, because a friend of mine narrowly missed out at A101 interview and was offered A100? Is this not the case or does it simply not happen anymore?
Reply 1807
Original post by Cas22
So there are two cut offs for graduates wanting to study medicine. A higher one for the poor and a lower one for the rich. The option of applying for both (if you are not sure you will meet the requirements) is only available to those that are able to pay £9000 fees per year and living costs for the duration of the course. Why should the rich be able to buy themselves access to a medical course?

It is quite unfair, hopefully they will correct this in future though, especially as we're needing more and more doctors
Original post by Cas22

Hi Cas22,

This did sound a bit odd, so I queried it with our Medical School for you. They have advised that rather than being a Newcastle-specific issue, all universities are subject to national funding differences for 4 year graduate programmes compared to 5 year programmes, as 4 year programmes are heavily subsidised by the government.

The UKCAT threshold depends entirely on the competition ratio or popularity of each course. As there are not many graduate entry 4 year courses, and because of the government funding, they are very popular and so in turn the UKCAT threshold is usually higher.

I do hope this helps to clarify 😊

Susie
Hi Cas22,

This did sound a bit odd, so I queried it with our Medical School for you. They have advised that rather than being a Newcastle-specific issue, all universities are subject to national funding differences for 4 year graduate programmes compared to 5 year programmes, as 4 year programmes are heavily subsidised by the government.

The UKCAT threshold depends entirely on the competition ratio or popularity of each course. As there are not many graduate entry 4 year courses, and because of the government funding, they are very popular and so in turn the UKCAT threshold is usually higher.

I do hope this helps to clarify 😊

Susie

Can you answer the question posted by @Max46 please?
Reply 1810
Original post by Nautic4l
Can you answer the question posted by @Max46 please?

Glad someone else noticed this 😂
Original post by Max46
Glad someone else noticed this 😂

I’m curious now!
Original post by Nautic4l
I’m curious now!

The answer is that life isn’t fair
Original post by uwotuwot
The answer is that life isn’t fair

Not the answer we’re looking for, I’m afraid! Thanks anyway ☺️
Reply 1814
Kind of annoying how I've been pied by my own university 😂
Original post by Max46
Kind of annoying how I've been pied by my own university 😂

Hey Max46,

Apologies, I must have missed your message - certainly didn't mean to pie you! We're looking at this one, correct? :smile:

'Just want to clarify, because a friend of mine narrowly missed out at A101 interview and was offered A100? Is this not the case or does it simply not happen anymore?'

I've queried it with our Medical School for you and they have confirmed that we've never automatically offered the A100 to those that missed out on the A101, unless they had applied for both. However, it may have been the case that a small amount of applicants who missed the A101 later applied and were offered a place after A Level confirmation.

Hope this helps,

Susie
Reply 1816
Hey Max46,

Apologies, I must have missed your message - certainly didn't mean to pie you! We're looking at this one, correct? :smile:

'Just want to clarify, because a friend of mine narrowly missed out at A101 interview and was offered A100? Is this not the case or does it simply not happen anymore?'

I've queried it with our Medical School for you and they have confirmed that we've never automatically offered the A100 to those that missed out on the A101, unless they had applied for both. However, it may have been the case that a small amount of applicants who missed the A101 later applied and were offered a place after A Level confirmation.

Hope this helps,

Susie

Ahhhh I see. Thanks very much!
Did anyone on the reserve list receive an email stating that they ARE on the list?
Just called Newcastle who confirmed I have been accepted.

Glad that's over
Reply 1819
Hi, I just phoned the medical school and got a place! Good luck!!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending