The Student Room Group

Natural hair journey discussion anyone?

I'm on a natural hair journey, was wondering if any of you are? Wanna talk about products... Tips... etcc x
Reply 1
Girl I have not spent 4 years of my life struggling to push a comb through my 4c hair NOT to share any advice. What u wanna know because I can't tell you I've xoerienced it ALL
Have you tried rice water? Heard that it's great.
Original post by Fannon
Girl I have not spent 4 years of my life struggling to push a comb through my 4c hair NOT to share any advice. What u wanna know because I can't tell you I've xoerienced it ALL

Lmao!
Help with doing my own single plaits?
Original post by Honesty007
I'm on a natural hair journey, was wondering if any of you are? Wanna talk about products... Tips... etcc x

my hair is thinning what do i do
Reply 5
Original post by pfdavina
Lmao!

Get yourself one of those head dolls and practice. Find a little sister or something and practice. Then set out a good amount of time, if it's your first time you'll need a weekend, and just stay calm.
Start with the back and you'll have the hardest part done, make sure that you section it nicely, then they come out looking sleek asf.
Reply 6
Original post by study beats
my hair is thinning what do i do

CASTOR OIL. that stuff is magic. It thicken out your hair and brings life volume and shine with it. Go for a trim, it's probably split ends that are making your hair break. If your relaxing your hair stop, relaxer made me cut off all my hair because it was long but lifeless. Do larger trims, don't just dust but take a good amount of hair of and regrow, you'll find thick lush hair growing out of your scalp in no time
Original post by Fannon
CASTOR OIL. that stuff is magic. It thicken out your hair and brings life volume and shine with it. Go for a trim, it's probably split ends that are making your hair break. If your relaxing your hair stop, relaxer made me cut off all my hair because it was long but lifeless. Do larger trims, don't just dust but take a good amount of hair of and regrow, you'll find thick lush hair growing out of your scalp in no time

argan oil?
Original post by Honesty007

Shea moisture products are good :smile:
Reply 9
Original post by study beats
argan oil?

Really good for getting a shine
Original post by Fannon

How often were you relaxing your hair?
Reply 11
Original post by cherryred90s
How often were you relaxing your hair?

Every 3 months then every six weeks later on. Relaxed for about 3 years
What is a natural hair journey?
Reply 13
Original post by Fannon

LOOL! Well basically I think I have like 3c/4a hair according to pictures back when I was younger.
I have bad heat damage and in January nearly big chopped to about 2 inches but mum caught me in time.
It's hard as hell coping with thick roots and ugly straight thin ends though but I'm going to have to deal with it.
Anyhow (gosh I type so much) Ive been natural for 6 months now.. And my hair actually falls out SO much and feels like it's breaking sometimes!
do you go by a weekly /monthly routine? Best products you would recommend to deep condition, keep it strong and grow? And how long is your hair now? I'm trying to grow waist lengh #jesustakethewheel. Anything really aha
Reply 14
Original post by pfdavina
Lmao!

Single plaits with your natural hair or braids as in using extensions?
Tbh all you need is a spritz bottle, rat tail comb, oil/moisturiser , some gel to make it look neat ,butterfly clips/hair bands. Just parten each part in sections... Make sure the rest of the hairs out the hair. Take 3 sections and plait? Aha maybe be more specific unless I've answered your question x
Reply 15
Original post by Unit 731
What is a natural hair journey?

It's basically growing your hair to be healthy and strong etc naturally. Without using heat, relaxers, colour etc. But some naturals still use heat and colour just like once a year/month
Reply 16
About 4 years ago now I had awful damage from relaxer, started of transitioning but my patience didn't allow for that so chopped it all off, mum wasn't too happy with me.

I rely on protective styling so I spend a about 8 weeks in box braids or 6 weeks in crochet braids just because it's easier to manage. When my hairs out I co-wash every three days then lay it into two French braids for the night so it stretches making it easier to style the next day. I work using the LCO method, so I spritz with water add leave in condition then she's butter then coconut oil. I usually put my hair into an Afro puff coz it's the easiest style and go about my day. If I'm not doing the French braids at night then I pineapple my hair.

As for how long is it I really don't know. The way my hair is it grows upwards. But when I straighten it it goes about armpit length but I haven't straightened it for about 8 months now so that's probably changed now. Lord knows I can't wait until it hit a length that my hair will weigh itself down because this defying gravity :innocent::innocent::innocent::innocent: it's been pulling isn't the greatest thing for me.
Reply 17
Original post by Fannon
About 4 years ago now I had awful damage from relaxer, started of transitioning but my patience didn't allow for that so chopped it all off, mum wasn't too happy with me.

I rely on protective styling so I spend a about 8 weeks in box braids or 6 weeks in crochet braids just because it's easier to manage. When my hairs out I co-wash every three days then lay it into two French braids for the night so it stretches making it easier to style the next day. I work using the LCO method, so I spritz with water add leave in condition then she's butter then coconut oil. I usually put my hair into an Afro puff coz it's the easiest style and go about my day. If I'm not doing the French braids at night then I pineapple my hair.

As for how long is it I really don't know. The way my hair is it grows upwards. But when I straighten it it goes about armpit length but I haven't straightened it for about 8 months now so that's probably changed now. Lord knows I can't wait until it hit a length that my hair will weigh itself down because this defying gravity :innocent::innocent::innocent::innocent: it's been pulling isn't the greatest thing for me.

Ah that was me 4 years ago from relaxer but I didn't even think my hair was bad untill I look back on pictures now gosh looked like a mushroom on my head.

Ah I see, I was looking up on the LCO method the other day haven't actually tried it out yet. Will do now. Aw your hairs lonng! Them ones when it just sticks up :biggrin: I miss that :frown: Keep it up p

Quick Reply

Latest