The Student Room Group

Cancer in the family

Hi there,
I was wondering if anyone could give me some advice?
Im currently in my 3rd year of University and one of my parents have just been diagnosed with cancer. I’m the eldest sibling so I feel the pressure of needing to be there for my family right now. But I never expected anything like this would happen at this stage of my life, all my friends are looking forward to graduating and being finished at University, now I’m feeling like I can’t look forward to any of that.
I was wondering if anyone had been in a similar shoe with family illness and university, what did you do to help balance things? Because at the moment i feel like im hanging on by a thread
Original post by Anonymous
Hi there,
Im currently in my 3rd year of University and one of my parents have just been diagnosed with cancer. I’m the eldest sibling so I feel the pressure of needing to be there for my family right now. But I never expected anything like this would happen at this stage of my life, all my friends are looking forward to graduating and being finished at University, now I’m feeling like I can’t look forward to any of that.
I was wondering if anyone had been in a similar shoe with family illness and university, what did you do to help balance things? Because at the moment i feel like im hanging on by a thread

i'm sorry, that's a very difficult position to be in. The first thing to do is to tell your university - this will not be a new situation for them and they can offer help and support only if they know. Then you need to have a family discussion about where you are best fitted to be. Depending on the nature of your parent's treatment, it might be better for you to stay working for your degree (usually what the parent wants) or it might be more useful for you to be at home, helping with siblings etc. The main thing is to make an informed decision, with family and university involved. Don't drift through and end up not doing your best in your degree, but also feeling you didn't support your family. Take care of yourself and start talking to people about all your options.
Reply 2
Original post by Anonymous #1
Hi there,

My mum was diagnosed with cancer during my PGCE year so I do know what you are feeling. You are welcome to PM me :smile:
Reply 3
As above, if you feel like you are struggling (and who would not!), then get in touch with the University as soon as feasible. Everything should reopen on the 2nd - speak to your academic advisor and/or support people and see what they can do for you.

I cared for my terminally nan during my undergrad degree and through to the first year of my PhD and it can be very, very tough. People can help if you let them, I swear. TPDs advice is really good.
Reply 4
Original post by threeportdrift
i'm sorry, that's a very difficult position to be in. The first thing to do is to tell your university - this will not be a new situation for them and they can offer help and support only if they know. Then you need to have a family discussion about where you are best fitted to be. Depending on the nature of your parent's treatment, it might be better for you to stay working for your degree (usually what the parent wants) or it might be more useful for you to be at home, helping with siblings etc. The main thing is to make an informed decision, with family and university involved. Don't drift through and end up not doing your best in your degree, but also feeling you didn't support your family. Take care of yourself and start talking to people about all your options.

Thank you for your comment, i think ive made the decision to live at home during my final months of university, its only a 20 minute journey so i think that will be the best way I can balance University with family. I’ll definitely discuss everything with my academic supervisor as soon as University opens up again after Christmas so they understand my situation and can hopefully aid me with extensions or mitigating circumstances if needed.
Thank you for your advice I really appreciate it
Reply 5
Original post by Muttley79
My mum was diagnosed with cancer during my PGCE year so I do know what you are feeling. You are welcome to PM me :smile:

Thank you so much for your offer, i hope you and your mum are doing well now
Reply 6
Original post by gjd800
As above, if you feel like you are struggling (and who would not!), then get in touch with the University as soon as feasible. Everything should reopen on the 2nd - speak to your academic advisor and/or support people and see what they can do for you.

I cared for my terminally nan during my undergrad degree and through to the first year of my PhD and it can be very, very tough. People can help if you let them, I swear. TPDs advice is really good.

Thank you definitely going to reach out to people, i think i might take a look into my what my University offers in terms wellbeing and support.

Quick Reply

Latest