The Student Room Group

AQA A2 Philosophy 2 PHLS2 - 05 Jun 2017 [Exam Discussion]

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ohmyameliajane
Anyone know what to include for a 5 mark question about Mackie's argument from queerness?

I'd mention that his argument is a cognitivist argument, that moral facts are false, and then give an overview of the argument itself i.e. where is the wrongness in murder?, our usual ways of gaining knowledge about the world such as perception do not contribute to our gaining knowledge of morality. Hope this helps! It's a tricky argument tbh, hoping it doesn't come up 😁
Original post by ichbinsammy_
I'd mention that his argument is a cognitivist argument, that moral facts are false, and then give an overview of the argument itself i.e. where is the wrongness in murder?, our usual ways of gaining knowledge about the world such as perception do not contribute to our gaining knowledge of morality. Hope this helps! It's a tricky argument tbh, hoping it doesn't come up 😁

Thank you! I really hope it doesn't come up, one minute I think I get it then the next I'm super confused haha
Original post by FrenchFryGuy
A 25 marker on ethical language is very unlikely, as there isn't enough substantial content to actually write a 25-mark essay in 50 minutes. Even a 12 marker on ethical language is slightly unlikely, especially as ethical language came up on the 12 marker last year. If anything, there will most likely be a 3 or 5 marker on ethical language, if at all. So do not panic so much. As for applied ethics, my teacher said it is possible to come up this year as there wasn't one last year - and she had a feeling it would be on the treatment of animals, war or simulated killing (because they are relevant topics for current times). I am also currently working on a quizlet revision (arguments and key definitions) set for Philosophy of mind and ethics, I will post a link when I am done.

I can agree that a 25-marker on meta-ethics is less likely than a normative one, but you definitely can't say there isn't enough content for an essay. If anything, you're given heaps of stuff to talk about in an essay on a syllabus - you could take a cognitivist approach and attack Mackie and non-cog, or defend prescriptivism as an improvement on emotivism and moral realism. So, I wouldn't rule out preparing an essay on the topic at all, unless you don't mind getting stumped on the day of the exam.
Original post by johnnysmithy98
I can agree that a 25-marker on meta-ethics is less likely than a normative one, but you definitely can't say there isn't enough content for an essay. If anything, you're given heaps of stuff to talk about in an essay on a syllabus - you could take a cognitivist approach and attack Mackie and non-cog, or defend prescriptivism as an improvement on emotivism and moral realism. So, I wouldn't rule out preparing an essay on the topic at all, unless you don't mind getting stumped on the day of the exam.

how would u recommend planning the essay?? as in would you say "is non-cog/cognitivism a successful account of moral language?"
Original post by pollyycatherine
how would u recommend planning the essay?? as in would you say "is non-cog/cognitivism a successful account of moral language?"

Yes, or something equivalent like 'are there moral facts?'
Yes, or something equivalent like 'are there moral facts?'

sorry for being so dumb but my teacher was awful at teaching meta-ethics.

ive written a non-cog essay saying it fails. how could i adapt that to fit this q??
Original post by pollyycatherine
sorry for being so dumb but my teacher was awful at teaching meta-ethics.

ive written a non-cog essay saying it fails. how could i adapt that to fit this q??

No worries it's a tricky topic. Essentially all of cognitivism, apart from Mackie's error theory, argue that moral facts exist. So, if you want to show that moral facts exist, you'd maybe want to attack non-cog as you've done, but also refute Mackie's error theory.
But I prepared a Eliminative Materialism one which I thought could be very sneaky, as it's the only one about the language used. I can send it to whoever asks.

Omg please please please could you send me that, I've serverely neglected eliminative materialism and i properly don't understand it yet.

Also if asked a question on ethical language like "Asses the view that it is possible to have knowledge of moral truths" [25 marks] which is pointed towards cognitivism, would you have to go into depth of non - cognitivist theories as objections or could you just outline cognitivsm and non - cognitivism but only talk about cognitivst theories and objections within them, for example Warnock's objection to intuitionism?

Im baffled by what I'd include in this question, what would everyones plan be?
Any suggestions on some 5 or 12 mark questions?

Well, yes there is enough content to write about but within a 25 mark essay, but this would only cover A01, which is only worth 5 out of the 25 marks. The other 20 marks are for A02, which is to evaluate; however the spec does not allow for that within ethical language. This is why I said there isn't enough substantiated content in ethical language as there really isn't any grounds for picking sides/ issues with cognitivism and non-cognitivism.
A 25 marker on ethical language is very unlikely, as there isn't enough substantial content to actually write a 25-mark essay in 50 minutes. Even a 12 marker on ethical language is slightly unlikely, especially as ethical language came up on the 12 marker last year. If anything, there will most likely be a 3 or 5 marker on ethical language, if at all. So do not panic so much. As for applied ethics, my teacher said it is possible to come up this year as there wasn't one last year - and she had a feeling it would be on the treatment of animals, war or simulated killing (because they are relevant topics for current times). I am also currently working on a quizlet revision (arguments and key definitions) set for Philosophy of mind and ethics, I will post a link when I am done.

Yeah, I don't think they can. On the syllabus, there is no information about learning the issues or responses to any of the meta-ethical language sections. So I wouldn't sweat about planning meta-ethics questions.
Hey guys, I bought some Kantian ethics model answers. One is a 12 marker and the rest a 25 markers. Would you guys like me to post them on here?
Reply 52
Original post by largeadam
I think the objections in metaethics are the other theories: the objection with ethical naturalism would be Moore's open question argument, the objection to Moore being Mackie etc.

Do you reckon a specific question of non-cognitivism could come up (emotivism/ prescriptivism)? Doubt I'd have enough material to be able to write that
Reply 53
Original post by LadyLoony
Hey guys, I bought some Kantian ethics model answers. One is a 12 marker and the rest a 25 markers. Would you guys like me to post them on here?

Yes please that would be so helpful :smile:
Original post by Tasha G
Do you reckon a specific question of non-cognitivism could come up (emotivism/ prescriptivism)? Doubt I'd have enough material to be able to write that

Think it will be either assess cognitivism/non-cognitivism or are there any moral facts, in which case I'd just do a generic cog vs non-cog essay
Reply 55
Original post by largeadam
Think it will be either assess cognitivism/non-cognitivism or are there any moral facts, in which case I'd just do a generic cog vs non-cog essay

If it was 'assess non-cognitivism' and you did for and against for intuitionism/ ethical naturalism and then concluded by siding with emotivism, do you reckon this would be too far off the question? As in does it have to be for and againsts for emotivism and prescriptivism?

Sorry for the specific questions haha :smile:
Original post by Tasha G
If it was 'assess non-cognitivism' and you did for and against for intuitionism/ ethical naturalism and then concluded by siding with emotivism, do you reckon this would be too far off the question? As in does it have to be for and againsts for emotivism and prescriptivism?

Sorry for the specific questions haha :smile:

I don't think so, all the essay questions essentially cover the whole topic. When the specimen was 'assess the doctrine of the mean' or something, it was basically just evaluate Virtue Ethics so I think the same thing stands for meta-ethics.

Maybe just make clear that cognitivism is weak so non-cog is better (or vice versa)
Reply 57
Hello Can you please send me the 25 marker ? I'm struggling on Eliminative Materialism
Reply 58
The likelihood for ethics is that they'll ask 'is x useful for making moral decisions' for either Utilitarianism or Kant, as they've already done Virtue Ethics. They could also very easily ask 'are there moral facts' for Meta-ethics.

For mind, you could have the standard 'is the mind the brain' and all it's variations. But I prepared a Eliminative Materialism one which I thought could be very sneaky, as it's the only one about the language used. I can send it to whoever asks.

There aren't really that many essays they can ask, so I recommend you prepare at least all of these. If there are any possibilities you think I missed out, tell me.

Can you please send me the 25 marker? I'm struggling on Eliminative Materialism
Well, yes there is enough content to write about but within a 25 mark essay, but this would only cover A01, which is only worth 5 out of the 25 marks. The other 20 marks are for A02, which is to evaluate; however the spec does not allow for that within ethical language. This is why I said there isn't enough substantiated content in ethical language as there really isn't any grounds for picking sides/ issues with cognitivism and non-cognitivism.

I mean all I can say is you should give it a go. There is easily enough content for sustained evaluation (the criteria for A02). I've written a few myself defending prescriptivism and I've had plenty of content to evaluate moral realism and emotivism. So avoid it if you want, but to anyone else, it might come up.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending