The Student Room Group

Will antidepressants affect my intelligence

I have been prescribed some ssri's but I'm just concerned that anything that is going to affect my brain may in turn effect my academic ability. could anybody taking them give me a bit of an insight. I take Citalopram 20mg and also study maths and physics.
Original post by truffle_999
Any medicine that affects the brain will in some shape or form have an 'adverse effect' on cognitive function. I'm not sure as to the extent. Anti-depressants have been very widely used so I wouldn't worry and on a low dosage, side-effects should be mild anyway.

The effects on cognition are not always going to be adverse. If there are any effects on cognition at all they could very well improve your functioning.
Reply 2
Not at all! I go to a grammar school and if anything my antidepressants help my grades!
Original post by Anonymous
I have been prescribed some ssri's but I'm just concerned that anything that is going to affect my brain may in turn effect my academic ability. could anybody taking them give me a bit of an insight. I take Citalopram 20mg and also study maths and physics.
Original post by Anonymous

For some they will find that anti depressants can improve their cognition. Some will have no effect on cognition at all. I have not personally heard of anyone who has complained of cognition issues.

If you feel that anti depressants may help you then it is worth trialing them for a period. However, if you wanted to be safe it may be worth asking your care team/GP for other options e.g. counselling/therapy/exercise prescription.

Quick Reply

Latest