The Student Room Group
Reply 1
I dnt know why but I got a B at AS Level!! I got 89/90 on the scientific paper, dnt know how I managed that but I'll deffo take the mark!!! It's an annoying one to have to do the exam in but if you get a gud grade then I suppose it is OK
Reply 2
Because it's easy.
Reply 3
Exactly ^_^, I'm not one of those geniuses, though ^_^. It's because many of those people tend to take subjects in a certain area, I reckon.
Im a geeky person who got straights A in maths and sciences. All my friends were like youll be crap at general studies as uve got no common knowledge and poor english skills. I got 293/300 there just jeoulous Im the don
Reply 5
MickyFinstar
Im a geeky person who got straights A in maths and sciences. All my friends were like youll be crap at general studies as uve got no common knowledge and poor english skills. I got 293/300 there just jeoulous Im the don

Right okay, well done.
I starting As levels in September and I just wanted to know how many classes per week you have for General Studies?.
Oh yeah and is it true that you can drop General Studies in the second year as I have read on this site that some people have?
Reply 8
Well you're meant to go to lessons. But nobody does. So none. I didn't go to a single lesson due to timetable clashes.

BTW. I got B. 50/100 on the essay writing one. hehe. 80/100 on the one you read a passage and answer multiple choice questions and then write some essays. And 100/100 on maths and science because it's what I do.
Reply 9
There's nothing to revise, so you can just do it. Although looking at past papers and mark schemes DID help! (Even though I looked at just one!) Because it helps to know that they want like a balanced argument etc.
Reply 10
Yup, if you don't do maths, it is worth catching up on GCSE stuff, actually. The bit where you have to list things in the politics/culture paper looks simple, but I was suprised at how many people do REALLY bad on that section (AQA).
Reply 11
why bother doing it but? Most, if not all, respectable unviersities don't count it in their offers.
Reply 12
Many economics courses accept...York for example. That's a respected uni. But apparantly, a good grade will help if you fail to meet your offer JUST.
Reply 13
Invisible
Notice how the straight A people often get B's or C's in it though. Says a lot, about broader knwoledge and intelligence in my view.

They probably ignore the written papers, and calculate your mark as

GS Mark = 24000/{total number of UCAS points without GS}
What's an example of the type of thing that they ask you then? :confused:
Reply 15
In one exam you read an article about something like this year AQA it was about the difference between the arts and sciences and its links to creativity and technical virtuosity and how a combination of the two is what makes a true genius. Then on a preprinted sheet you answer a load of multiple choice questions. Like "Paragraph X - What is the overall point given by this paragraph"
A - That technical virtuosity and creativity can be acquired
B - That technical virtuosity and creativity are the mark of a true genius
C - That the writer approves only of people with both technical virtuosity and creativity
D - That having technical virtuosity and creativity gives you an advantage in society

And all the answers may be true but you have to be precise in picking the one which the writer expresses. It's weird stuff like this.

And then after about 30 - 40 multi choice you have to do a few 6 ish mark answers to general questions. Like I think one was something like "Give examples of geniuses through history. Explain how they have combined both technical virtuosity and creativity"
Reply 16
Anyone do ocr general studies? I got an 'e' in the cultural domain and dont have a clue what was in the paper.

Before the exams I didnt care about the subject but now i want an A to prove how useless it is. I havent been to a single lesson or seen a paper before the exam due to a timetable clash and still came out with 237/300 despite having an 'e' in the cultural domain.
Reply 17
bobndave
Why?

Because its easy. I had no lessons and no revision, but still manage to get 98% overall.

Latest