The Student Room Group

FP1 Rotation matrices?

I am absolutely lost on rotation matrices, could someone explain how to find out what the matrix would be based on criteria like:
- Rotation by 135* clockwise
- Rotation by 135* ACW
- Rotation by 45* CW
- Rotation by 45* ACW
(about origin (0,0))
Could you please explain the line of thought when approaching the questions?
Original post by CompSci in2k17
I am absolutely lost on rotation matrices, could someone explain how to find out what the matrix would be based on criteria like:
- Rotation by 135* ACW
- Rotation by 45* CW
- Rotation by 45* ACW
(about origin (0,0))

Are you familiar with finding these matrices based on what happens to the matrix:

(1 0
0 1)?
Yep I can do others such as reflection y= -x etc but I just can't understand rotation matrices
Yep I can do others such as reflection y= -x etc but I just can't understand rotation matrices

Rotation transformation in R2\mathbb{R}^2 has a matrix of the form (cos(θ)sin(θ)sin(θ)cos(θ))\displaystyle \begin{pmatrix} \cos(\theta) & -\sin(\theta) \\ \sin(\theta) & \cos(\theta) \end{pmatrix} where θ\theta is measured from the positive x-axis anticlockwise. It is in your formula booklet (I think...)

So try and deduce the matrices for your examples using this info.
Reply 4
V = vita
(cosV -sinV)
(sinV cosV)

That's the matrix for a rotation of vita around the origin anticlockwise.
Reply 5
For Clockwise, I'd assume you would do 360 - (Whatever number you had to rotate clockwise) and use that.
Original post by RDKGames
Rotation transformation in R2\mathbb{R}^2 has a matrix of the form (cos(θ)sin(θ)sin(θ)cos(θ))\displaystyle \begin{pmatrix} \cos(\theta) & -\sin(\theta) \\ \sin(\theta) & \cos(\theta) \end{pmatrix} where θ\theta is measured from the positive x-axis anticlockwise. It is in your formula booklet (I think...)

So try and deduce the matrices for your examples using this info.

I've seen that but I have no idea how to use it, could you do anticlockwise 135* as an example? Thanks
Reply 7
I've seen that but I have no idea how to use it, could you do anticlockwise 135* as an example? Thanks

Just substitute 135 for vita and work it out from there using your calculator?

That would be (cos(135)sin(135)sin(135)cos(135)) \displaystyle \begin{pmatrix} \cos(135) & -\sin(135) \\ \sin(135) & \cos(135) \end{pmatrix} then and you can work out exact values here if you so wish.

If you want to do a rotation 60 degrees clockwise then it would be (cos(60)sin(60)sin(60)cos(60)) \displaystyle \begin{pmatrix} \cos(-60) & -\sin(-60) \\ \sin(-60) & \cos(-60) \end{pmatrix}
Cheers guys, greatly appreciated
Reply 10
Do you have to work out exact values to get the mark or can you leave it in trig form
- Rotation by 135* ACW
- Rotation by 45* CW
- Rotation by 45* ACW
(about origin (0,0))

Here you go:

https://s18.postimg.cc/52iw4an5l/20180507_131542.jpg
Original post by gtadams
Do you have to work out exact values to get the mark or can you leave it in trig form

You'll have to equate an element in the matrix to a trig function and then resolve for theta. Then using that theta figure out what actually happens to the line and say something like "A rotation about the origin by 45* anticlockwise"
Reply 13
You'll have to equate an element in the matrix to a trig function and then resolve for theta. Then using that theta figure out what actually happens to the line and say something like "A rotation about the origin by 45* anticlockwise"

Thanks

Quick Reply

Latest