The Student Room Group
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London

Truth About GCSE Importance @ LSE

<Deleted>

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Well...i got 4A* 9A at GCSE and still got an offer from LSE (in fact im a fresher this year :P ) but i'm doing Maths and Econ, not Government, so it might be different for different courses.
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London
Reply 2
Its not on the site because everyone applying will have the insane number of A* s which is why most applicants have to match that to compete. I am also applying to govt and you got better gcse grades then me. Hopefully they like my money.
Reply 3
I asked the LSE why they don't publish this information on their website and was told it is because "the standard of applicants changes each year so we cannot publish a definitive GCSE requirement in advance".

In reality, it is probably because LSE know damn well that if they make it public knowledge about their GCSE "policy" then applications will probably fall and they will lose their status as the "most over-subscribed university in the country".

Most people find out by e-mailing the admissions tutor and asking for feedback. They are then told they had "insufficient GCSE grades" -- this comment was given to people with up to 7A* grades....

OnegiO
Well...i got 4A* 9A at GCSE and still got an offer from LSE (in fact im a fresher this year :P ) but i'm doing Maths and Econ, not Government, so it might be different for different courses.

Correct. The unofficial A* policies seem to only be used for admissions to straight Law and straight Economics.
Reply 4
dammit

so i shouldn't bother with my 6a*'s then for straight law
Reply 5
hummm.. i was thinkin of applying LSE for business management.
thats why i'm retaking my maths (need a minimum of a B in maths to study Business there)
i did'nt get a single A* :frown:
hoping to get A's in my A levels (god willing)
still apply?
Reply 6
u need to have some A*s to get LSE to even consider u. I would retake to get at least 2 A*s
One of my friends is thinging of applying to LSE for Management I think. She only got 1 A*, 7.5 As and 1 B in her GCSEs, the A* in Maths...do you think she could still have a chance of getting in? She's kinda predicting herself AABB in her ASs-She's doing Maths, Physics, English lang and Economics.
Reply 8
purple-girl
One of my friends is thinging of applying to LSE for Management I think. She only got 1 A*, 7.5 As and 1 B in her GCSEs, the A* in Maths...do you think she could still have a chance of getting in? She's kinda predicting herself AABB in her ASs-She's doing Maths, Physics, English lang and Economics.

If any of what I've read on here about LSE is true then her chances will be very slim at best. Maybe with a great personal statement and reference.
So what do you guys think would happen if I only have IB predicted grades and a transcript and i haven't really done GCSEs?
Reply 10
I called and spoke to the admissions officer and they confirmed that competition is so fierce that the average candidate applies with 6/7 A*. So although its not specifically stated on the website you will find yourself at a slight disadvantage. However for mature student they are not so relevant or so they say.

hldomster
Hi,

I've been reading alot of threads in this forum about how LSE will only take people with a majority of A*s and As at GCSE. I've been looking on their website and I couldn't find anything that suggests this. Can anyone cite any source where LSE claim you need x number of A*s at GCSE? I'm concerned because I've applied for government there, and I have 4 A*s 4As and a B, and I'm worried they;; be wondering why I only have 9 GCSEs (it's all the school did), and I'm worried that those grades won't be good enough. I also do law and they don't accept that as a proper A level, for reasons unknown to me. Perhaps I should have put my 300/300 UMS score in politics down on my PS.

Anyway, does anyone have anything official on their GCSE policy? And how do you rate my chances?
Reply 11
I concur will require a spectacular PS and statement.

alex_hk90
If any of what I've read on here about LSE is true then her chances will be very slim at best. Maybe with a great personal statement and reference.
Reply 12
"I am also applying to govt and you got better gcse grades then me. Hopefully they like my money."

lol:biggrin:
Reply 13
<Deleted>
Reply 14
hldomster
Hmmm, I now feel disadvnataged because my school only allowed me to do 9 GCSEs, and even out of those, I only got 4 A*s. I'm not too fussed if I don't get in, I visited SOAS last week and it had a great buzz about it, somewhat revolutionary, so I'd be happy to go there. TBH, if LSE don't offer me a place, it's their loss, I've got loads to offer, particularly as someone who is incredibly active outside of acadamia. Who knows, even if I get an offer, I'm not sure I'd take it, I really am undecided about where to go. BPLS at Hull sounds really good (and cheap), and I've already mentioned SOAS.

Mmm.... Ok then, it's really their loss isnt it.
Reply 15
mfkhan91
hummm.. i was thinkin of applying LSE for business management.
thats why i'm retaking my maths (need a minimum of a B in maths to study Business there)
i did'nt get a single A* :frown:
hoping to get A's in my A levels (god willing)
still apply?

There is no Business Management course @ LSE.

Also, you are doing 2 blacklisted subjects by LSE.
Reply 16
<Deleted>
Reply 17
hldomster
Yup, it really is :smile: Are you a student there? if you are, you prove my point :smile:

some people really live in their own world :P
child_of_light
So what do you guys think would happen if I only have IB predicted grades and a transcript and i haven't really done GCSEs?

you haven't done any public exams yet? what did you put in the qualifications completed section of the UCAS/Cambridge form?
jeffreyweingard
you haven't done any public exams yet? what did you put in the qualifications completed section of the UCAS/Cambridge form?

I just put my IB information but a transcript of my school grades from 9th grade is being sent alongside my IB grades. However the school grades were not for any public exams or any exams in fact.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending