The Student Room Group

I'm about to buy my first smartphone. Someone please advise me.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by unomie
This is all nonsense.

iPhones aren't programmed to 'break' after 2 yrs. That is a ridiculous idea to foster and spread, and the cameras are usually better (camera lag on android phones is a killer). iPhones retain their value longer and are less likely to break.

I'd go with an iPhone SE/5C or something like the nexus if you're on a budget.

Read reviews beforehand, lots - iPhones will generally work as expected but most android phones have their downfalls (ie, with the nexus. Camera lag is a major factor but can be sorted with custom roms/kernals)

iPhones (and Android) have ridiculous levels of intended obsolescence.

Camera Lag on Android isn't a thing anymore really.

I'd recommend either the Moto G OR a Oneplus3
Original post by Afcwimbledon2

Im using the moto G4 at the moment, no issues, cost me £160 with pay as you go. No complaints so far
iPhones (and Android) have ridiculous levels of intended obsolescence.

Camera Lag on Android isn't a thing anymore really.

There is nothing concrete to suggest Apple is deliberately slowing down their phones.

One reason could be that iOS often does a lot of background cleanup and re-indexing after an OS update, which temporarily slows them down.
Another reason is that mobile processing power is growing so rapidly, that a new iPhone is an order of magnitude faster than one of a few years ago.

Here's a graph: https://encrypted-tbn1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT3dOCYJ5-2hw5ED1Gp3EmdbBq57PC--xVlMlXgTwOxtLhHpOzyFK2-aeiYUg

It's not easy building software that takes full advantage of that power (an obvious selling point for any manufacturer) while still accommodating older devices that are 10-15x slower.

But at least they still support older devices. The latest iOS might lag on a three year old iPhone 4S, but a 3 year old Android device might never even get an OS update due to carrier limitations.
I would just go to a helpful phone shop, tell them all the things above you are looking for. And then they will direct you to phones in your budget which will do what you are looking for 🙂

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by snowman77
I'm going to buy my very first smartphone (yes I know, it's shameful that in 2017 I still don't have one). But I'm pretty clueless on the whole issue, so I'm looking for advice.

I want one that:

- can use the internet (do I have to pay an extra charge to use the internet? I would be using internet quite regularly)

- can use those apps like Tinder, Kik, Snapchat and any other useful apps

- can take high quality photographs

- has a high quality video camera

- Pay As You Go contract for calls/text

- isn't ridiculously expensive

What is the best smartphone to get, bearing in mind all of the above? Thanks for the help! :tongue:

I know my phones so listen. I personally prefer samsung(galaxy s8+ over here) because you are able to do more with it etc. But if you have no clue how to use a smartphone go with an iphone, they tend to be much more easier to use because of ios etc. Apps tend to be less buggier on ios aswell. Although i would recommend getting a contract, it normally tends to work out cheaper overall.
Original post by Beccajane2
I would just go to a helpful phone shop, tell them all the things above you are looking for. And then they will direct you to phones in your budget which will do what you are looking for 🙂

Posted from TSR Mobile

Good to get an idea of the phones that would suit you but they might drag you towards the higher end of your budget, be wary if that happens
Original post by Ryanthom100
I know my phones so listen. I personally prefer samsung(galaxy s8+ over here) because you are able to do more with it etc. But if you have no clue how to use a smartphone go with an iphone, they tend to be much more easier to use because of ios etc. Apps tend to be less buggier on ios aswell. Although i would recommend getting a contract, it normally tends to work out cheaper overall.

Contracts always work out more expensive. You're paying the extra expense for having the benefit of not having to pay for the phone all at once.
Original post by unomie
Contracts always work out more expensive. You're paying the extra expense for having the benefit of not having to pay for the phone all at once.

Depends on how much data, minutes and texts u use.
Original post by unomie
There is nothing concrete to suggest Apple is deliberately slowing down their phones.

One reason could be that iOS often does a lot of background cleanup and re-indexing after an OS update, which temporarily slows them down.
Another reason is that mobile processing power is growing so rapidly, that a new iPhone is an order of magnitude faster than one of a few years ago.

Here's a graph: https://encrypted-tbn1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT3dOCYJ5-2hw5ED1Gp3EmdbBq57PC--xVlMlXgTwOxtLhHpOzyFK2-aeiYUg

It's not easy building software that takes full advantage of that power (an obvious selling point for any manufacturer) while still accommodating older devices that are 10-15x slower.

But at least they still support older devices. The latest iOS might lag on a three year old iPhone 4S, but a 3 year old Android device might never even get an OS update due to carrier limitations.

You are such an Apple fanboy :tongue: While I'm such an Android fanboy.

To be fair - you just said that there's nothing concrete to show how Apple's slowing down there phones and then you explained why phones are lagging.

To be honest I made my choice because of the Google Eco-system, and the greater flexibility Android begins.

Android's moving away from the update model you're talk about by the way - increasingly updates are at least lasting for 2-3 years, and in general that's about as long as Android phones get used for before most of us get itchy feet and upgrade. I've gone from Marshmallow to Nougat and soon Android O (when that appears) on this.
Similar thing's going on with Apple. Something like 80% of users are on iPhone 6 and above I believe?
Depends on how much data, minutes and texts u use.

I'm a big fan of going for Sim-Only deals these days. I've brought my OP3 outright and then pay £16 a month for 30gb Data, 600 mins and unlimited texts with 3. I used to be with Virgin before I started burning through data tethering my laptop all day long.
Original post by unomie
Nope, you don't. I've worked in IT for years and know how these things work. Not just read some sensationalist bs articles (You've linked gawker and thedailymail LMAO - The fact that you're pushing this conspiracy nonsense is enough for me to disregard anything you say) . I 'don't understand you' because you're wrong

By the time the life of the battery is up most people have switched devices anyway. Also, its very easy to replace the battery of an iPhone (just a few screws, done it many times). Battery life on apple is comparable to other smartphones of similar size

http://cdn2.expertreviews.co.uk/sites/expertreviews/files/2017/02/best_phone_battery_life_2017.jpg

iPhone failure rate has shot up with the 6/7 - but Samsung still beats it. (8 out of the top 10 devices by failure rates were manufactured by Samsung, with the flagships Galaxy S7 and S7 Edge leading the charge.)

https://dazeinfo.com/2017/05/22/failure-rate-iphone-7-iphone-7-plus-apple/

Stores will recommend whatever they make the most money off. They make more money off android as Apple sells at the same price across the board and doesn't give discounts to stores.

I never specifically endorsed any brand, I was just pointing out how hilarious uninformed your comment was.

Androids are better...if you know what you're doing/willing to read up and customise to your needs. iPhones are better for tech-illiterate people who just want it to work. The gap is closing, but for most people it's big enough to make a difference.

The camera thing is also bs and Apple are known for their cameras being particularly good especially in low-light and other areas where other cameras fail. The S range from Samsung is the only manufacturer to beat Apple in rankings for camera performance

You`re not being very polite at all.

anyway, i agree with you about the androids being better for the more tech-literate and vice versa for iphones - but the bottom line is that it depends on your level of literacy and how much you`re wanting out of the device. p.s working in "I.T for years" doesn`t make you necessarily an expert on phones btw, so that adds nothing to your argument

and i read a heckload of reviews around the internet before asking many stores. I even went to the apple store and ased around for the advantages etc of the latest iphone and evaluated everything myself. So please don`t presume too much about people :smile:
i`m pretty happy with my decision of not purchasing an iphone becuase it was the right decision for *me*. I was simply sharing my ideas to the OP as to why i prefer androids

and yes, there can be bias in certain articles, but if you think about it, these are statistics to show a general trend that many people have noticed - not just a certain group somewhere. It`s up to you to believe the stats or not, that`s not my problem ~

again i also agree about the S range being higher quality in cameras than the iphones which means that so far the latest Samsung phones have better cameras than the latest iphones? That`s what i`ve been saying for the past 500 paras?? You know, the "nonsense"?
Either Iphone 7 or Iphone 6s/6s Plus or the S7 Edge S7 Oneplus3T
and for your PAYG sim buy a T mobile(NOT EE) sim and you can get 6 months of unlimited internet for £40 total cost = £80 a year
You are such an Apple fanboy :tongue: While I'm such an Android fanboy.

To be fair - you just said that there's nothing concrete to show how Apple's slowing down there phones and then you explained why phones are lagging.

To be honest I made my choice because of the Google Eco-system, and the greater flexibility Android begins.

Android's moving away from the update model you're talk about by the way - increasingly updates are at least lasting for 2-3 years, and in general that's about as long as Android phones get used for before most of us get itchy feet and upgrade. I've gone from Marshmallow to Nougat and soon Android O (when that appears) on this.
Similar thing's going on with Apple. Something like 80% of users are on iPhone 6 and above I believe?

No fanboy, just a realist.

I have a macbook, and I have a desktop running Solus. My main phone is a Nexus with a planned upgrade to the Pixel.

The reasons I listed are technical reasons why some people may be experiencing their phones slowing down. There is no evidence (and I would be surprised if there ever was) Of Apple intentionally slowing down their phones to increase sales (as the person I was replying to suggested)
Original post by Mimi9335
You`re not being very polite at all.

anyway, i agree with you about the androids being better for the more tech-literate and vice versa for iphones - but the bottom line is that it depends on your level of literacy and how much you`re wanting out of the device. p.s working in "I.T for years" doesn`t make you necessarily an expert on phones btw, so that adds nothing to your argument

and i read a heckload of reviews around the internet before asking many stores. I even went to the apple store and ased around for the advantages etc of the latest iphone and evaluated everything myself. So please don`t presume too much about people :smile:
i`m pretty happy with my decision of not purchasing an iphone becuase it was the right decision for *me*. I was simply sharing my ideas to the OP as to why i prefer androids

and yes, there can be bias in certain articles, but if you think about it, these are statistics to show a general trend that many people have noticed - not just a certain group somewhere. It`s up to you to believe the stats or not, that`s not my problem ~

again i also agree about the S range being higher quality in cameras than the iphones which means that so far the latest Samsung phones have better cameras than the latest iphones? That`s what i`ve been saying for the past 500 paras?? You know, the "nonsense"?

Not here to be polite hen

I don't need to make a judgement on the stats, I know how the phones and software work and know that's why people think they're slowing down. I've explained the slow-down in my other comments.

And you've changed the goal posts. I was countering claims like

"android cameras are hands down better than iphone cameras if you read up a bit about it you`ll see what i mean"

Which is not the same as 'Samsung beat the iPhone marginally but the iPhone is still the #2 ranked, beating most Androids'

Your original claims are, and remain nonsense.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by unomie
No fanboy, just a realist.

I have a macbook, and I have a desktop running Solus. My main phone is a Nexus with a planned upgrade to the Pixel.

The reasons I listed are technical reasons why some people may be experiencing their phones slowing down. There is no evidence (and I would be surprised if there ever was) Of Apple intentionally slowing down their phones to increase sales (as the person I was replying to suggested)

You say potato and I say potato....

It's an interesting correlation - and I appreciate that correlation doesn't necessarily mean causation, but it's a convenient one. In general we are on an 18 month replacement cycle of mobile phones in the UK so there's almost planned obsolescence of 'usable phones'.

I'm full Android/Chrome... Got a OP3, Chromebook and also have a Windows PC for my degree - sadly some of the software I need doesn't work on ChromeOS or MacOS, not that I'd buy a Macbook.
You say potato and I say potato....

It's an interesting correlation - and I appreciate that correlation doesn't necessarily mean causation, but it's a convenient one. In general we are on an 18 month replacement cycle of mobile phones in the UK so there's almost planned obsolescence of 'usable phones'.

I'm full Android/Chrome... Got a OP3, Chromebook and also have a Windows PC for my degree - sadly some of the software I need doesn't work on ChromeOS or MacOS, not that I'd buy a Macbook.

Indeed, but iPhones are better for this if anything, my nexus is already obsolete and won't receive any more updates. iPhones get new iOS versions for a lot longer.

You run windows so most of your views should be disregarded :smile:
Original post by unomie
Indeed, but iPhones are better for this if anything, my nexus is already obsolete and won't receive any more updates. iPhones get new iOS versions for a lot longer.

You run windows so most of your views should be disregarded :smile:

Trust me - If I could get away without it I would. But my degree is distinctly more important than my opinion about the rest of it.
dual boot with Manjaro newb

Why spend £800+ on a 16mp camera smartphone,when you got other brands offering similar specs for WAY less offering 20mp+ for less?

l-l-l

LOL

Yeaa about paying a contract, snowy's better off paying £800 for the s8+ as a one-off payment than paying a 24month contract at £46 pm
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by TheDboyAi
Why spend £800+ on a 16mp camera smartphone,when you got other brands offering similar specs for WAY less offering 20mp+ for less?

l-l-l

LOL

Actually it's 12MP.

There's been an active trend towards low megapixel sensors in modern smartphones, because the larger pixels handle light gathering better and result in cleaner low-light images. Resolution has become large irrelevant to determining image quality anyway, now that most images are consumed through a 2-4MP display that we fit in our pocket.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending