The Student Room Group

Confused about student discounts

Someone please explain the difference between Totum, Unidays, and Student beans, and whether there is any point getting them if you mostly use indie/local shops.

If relevent, I'm doing a full-time Access to HE course, and have a college ID with name, photo, and year of study, and don't need proof of age as I have another card for this (also, I can't use digital ID cards as I don't have a smartphone).

Thanks in advance.
Original post by RollingApple
Someone please explain the difference between Totum, Unidays, and Student beans, and whether there is any point getting them if you mostly use indie/local shops.

If relevent, I'm doing a full-time Access to HE course, and have a college ID with name, photo, and year of study, and don't need proof of age as I have another card for this (also, I can't use digital ID cards as I don't have a smartphone).

Thanks in advance.

Hi @RollingApple,

I have both Unidays and Student Beans. I do not really know the difference between them. I personally don't shop in clothes shops often so dont find them that helpful but as it is free, you could try them to see if you would use them. I would say to always ask if shops that you are in do student discount as most do!

Other shops like Tesco and Asda, I find it very helpful to have a loyalty card with them as I can save quite a bit when food shopping with them.

I hope this helps. :smile:

Alia
University of Kent Student Rep
Original post by RollingApple

Thanks in advance.

Hi there @RollingApple,

Unidays and Student Beans are both free to get so even if you don't end up using them that much, there's nothing lost in having them. I have both and although I don't use them regularly, I do check them when I'm planning to buy from certain stores to see if I can get a discount.

As for TOTUM it does come with the cost, but you can usually see some of the discounts that they give before you do it. The main selling point for them is the 10% off Co-op so if you do use co-op a lot, it can be worth it. You can get just the totem card itself (you don't need to get the proof of age).

It's certainly also good to ask in shops if they do student discounts. I've been a small, local shop in Cambridge before and they gave a student discount.

I hope this is of help to you :smile:

Susannah (ARU)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending