The Student Room Group

Educational Psychology Funded Training (EPFT) Scheme

I'm looking to apply for a place on the Educational Psychology Funded Training Scheme (EPFT) for September 2024. I applied for this last year but unfortunately I was unsuccessful. I have a first class Bachelor's degree in Psychology (Bsc), one year of experience working as a TA / LSA in Secondary School (this will be 2 years by the time I start the course) and 11 months experience working as a Children's Workshop Facilitator in Primary Schools (facilitating workshops on 'keeping safe' and handling disclosures). I have also previously volunteered as a Year 8 camp leader. I am aware of how difficult the course is to get on and that many applicants will have more experience than me; please could anyone advise on writing my application / any experience I can get in the meantime that would enhance this?

Knowing there are only approximately 200 places on the EPFT, would someone with experience / knowledge please advise whether I should apply for the DEdPsych courses directly as well as through the EPFT? I couldn't find any information about this on the AEP website. Last year, I was rejected by the Universities through the EPFT, but am I allowed to apply to the Universities directly too? And if not, would I have a better chance of being successful if I just applied directly to the Universities and not the EPFT, given my (lack of) experience?

Many thanks in advance.
You can only apply directly as a self funded student, except Cardiff I believe as Wales fund it separately (or Scotland/Ireland), and not every uni will accept them.

You are right that others will likely have more experience and that can make it more difficult. It's about focusing on the psychology and the skills you have to be an EP
Reply 2
Thank you for your reply and advice, I really appreciate it. So do you know whether I can apply directly as a self-funded student and apply through the EPFT? Apologies if this seems like a silly question.
Original post by ehowes1
Thank you for your reply and advice, I really appreciate it. So do you know whether I can apply directly as a self-funded student and apply through the EPFT? Apologies if this seems like a silly question.

Yes you can - best to contact the unis directly about whether they accept self funded students (and probably what the fees are, likely at least the same as undergrad tuition and maybe standard postgrad fees) and what the process is

Quick Reply

Latest