The Student Room Group

GCSE Edexcel Geography B 2017 (22nd May)

Not seen many threads related to this paper, how did you all find it? What do you think the grade boundaries will be like?
Reply 1
Original post by studiousninja
Not seen many threads related to this paper, how did you all find it? What do you think the grade boundaries will be like?

Paper was slightly difficult then expected the last 8 maker how can can sustainable management help conserve an extreme environment and the 6 marker about the threats to conserving a bio sphere were really awkward. I'd expect grade boundaries to move slightly but not much
Original post by Sh44ny
Paper was slightly difficult then expected the last 8 maker how can can sustainable management help conserve an extreme environment and the 6 marker about the threats to conserving a bio sphere were really awkward. I'd expect grade boundaries to move slightly but not much

For the 8 marker, I think you were supposed to talk about your case studies for international agreements like the UNCCD, Kyoto Protocol, RAMSAR etc which protect extreme environments in detail, like I talked about how UNCCD protect arid areas from the desertification process and how RAMSAR protects wetlands. I think to get full marks I should've done Kyoto Protocol, but I couldn't remember the ins and outs of it.

For that pesky 6 marker, however, it wasn't actually on the specification! After my teacher spent a long time scanning official textbooks and specification there was nothing to do with the threats involved in conserving the biosphere. I'm pretty sure I read it wrong and wrote about how it's expensive to conserve it and eco-tourism isn't completely effective. I don't think it's right though.
Original post by devotion
For the 8 marker, I think you were supposed to talk about your case studies for international agreements like the UNCCD, Kyoto Protocol, RAMSAR etc which protect extreme environments in detail, like I talked about how UNCCD protect arid areas from the desertification process and how RAMSAR protects wetlands. I think to get full marks I should've done Kyoto Protocol, but I couldn't remember the ins and outs of it.

For that pesky 6 marker, however, it wasn't actually on the specification! After my teacher spent a long time scanning official textbooks and specification there was nothing to do with the threats involved in conserving the biosphere. I'm pretty sure I read it wrong and wrote about how it's expensive to conserve it and eco-tourism isn't completely effective. I don't think it's right though.

For that 6 marker I wrote about global scale and local scale management and the disadvantages of each of those and called them threats
Original post by studiousninja
For that 6 marker I wrote about global scale and local scale management and the disadvantages of each of those and called them threats

Define "management" for the biosphere please? And their disadvantages?
Original post by devotion
Define "management" for the biosphere please? And their disadvantages?

Global scale management was RAMSAR, disadvantages:
▪️Strategies not specific to wetland
▪️Local people don't have say in decision making causing conflict between people and government
▪️Difficult to monitor and ensure everyone is following
(That's all I can remember)

Local scale was Kilum forest reserve, disadvantages:
▪️Conflict between people due to wanting to do different things e.g. Tourism
▪️Not enough money to implement strategy
▪️Hard to enforce without global status
(Again all I can remember)

Then my overall judgement was that local was better as global leads to potential neglect of wetland and may not be fully receiving the care it needs

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending