The Student Room Group

Can you write outside the lines in exams??

I mean the horizontal ones, not vertical ones.
Like, a question can give you 3 lines to write your answer, and a blank space underneath. Is it okay if you write bellow those lines??

No one's told me off so far, but I'm just checking...
Original post by DianaDom
I mean the horizontal ones, not vertical ones.
Like, a question can give you 3 lines to write your answer, and a blank space underneath. Is it okay if you write bellow those lines??

No one's told me off so far, but I'm just checking...

You can, but your answer should be guided by the space that's provided for the answer. In other words, you should be able to make the number of points required to gain the full marks for the question in the space made available on the paper.

If you find that you're regularly writing more than the space allows (unless you have HUGE writing) then you're writing too much, or not writing concisely enough. Moreover, you'll run out of time if you spend too long writing overly-long answers.
Reply 2
Thank you!
I generally like to add points once I'm done with the paper, and that's what makes me write outside the lines.
I'm glad it's fine =)
Original post by DianaDom
Thank you!
I generally like to add points once I'm done with the paper, and that's what makes me write outside the lines.
I'm glad it's fine =)

Yes, definitely so. You'd never be penalised for writing outside the lines unless you were specifically directed not to do so in the rubric.

Quick Reply

Latest