The Student Room Group

New GCSEs

Do you think the new Maths and English exams have been a good change? From what I've heard, the maths one was leaving even the best ability students feel like they have failed the exam and missing out a lot of questions. What is the point of making the exams so hard that it will just make students have low confidence? I'm completing GCSEs next year and am not looking forward to being in the first year to do most of the new exams.
I am a current year 11. I personally think that the changes were not good, but that is how it is and it cannot be changed. Your cohort are all in the same situation. They want the distribution of the grades to be as a typical bell curve (google it if you don't know), so the boundaries will be adjusted to how everyone performed in each subject. I personally am at a super selective grammar school, and even people I know in the top of set 1 maths could not answer the last question on Thursday's edexcel maths noncalc paper. Honestly, there is no reason to be worried. The exam boards know what they are doing, and, as I said, grade boundaries are adjusted to the achievement across the country.

I hope this has encouraged you a little, and I promise, GCSEs aren't as scary as they seem, once you get into them. :smile:
Luckily I just missed the new gcses however done new as-levels for physics and chemistry and in terms of my exam boards (edexcel and ocr B respectively) new spec is a lot better especially chemistry. The new chemistry exams have a lot more problem solving and require a very through knowledge to answer the questions. 1 mark questions normally requiring 2 bits of knowledge to be answered correctly. Thankfully I could do all the calculations in the exam I'd just had but some of the calculations have some pretty hard stuff going on all at the same time. Still doing old maths a-level and once you've done loads of past papers- it's pretty simple to get in the 90%s. Outside of learning the methods, it's pretty much all being able to recognize basically identities and substitutions to things you worked out earlier in the question to solve something that would be pretty hard otherwise.

Quick Reply

Latest