The Student Room Group

Teacher doesn't know to teach her own subject.

Hi everyone,
I have a new science teacher at my school who's been teaching my class since the beginning of the academic year, but she doesn't actually understand how to teach us. She normally tends to put a 'Free Science Lessons' video on from YouTube, and gives us a question sheet/PowerPoint which she hasn't even checked over beforehand. She also doesn't understand certain basic knowledge, such as cardinal directions, which made the questions she gave us very confusing, as she made diagrams which didn't work given that she drew arrows in the wrong directions, meaning that the diagrams didn't work with the measurements we were given.
I'm really not sure what to do, as we're missing out on so much science which is extremely important for our GCSEs, given we are a year 11 class. Luckily, she has been banned already from teaching us new topics, and so can only revise with us, however she is teaching us not to do certain things for the things we are revising, such as banning us from using equation triangles in her class and claiming that we are not allowed to use them in the real exams.
Everything she does seems to be very inadequate, and I'm seeking advice for how to handle this, as her being barred from teaching new things has caused our other science teachers to have to rush their own lessons in order to teach hers.
Thank you all for any help!
Original post by Broklai
Hi everyone,
I have a new science teacher at my school who's been teaching my class since the beginning of the academic year, but she doesn't actually understand how to teach us. She normally tends to put a 'Free Science Lessons' video on from YouTube, and gives us a question sheet/PowerPoint which she hasn't even checked over beforehand. She also doesn't understand certain basic knowledge, such as cardinal directions, which made the questions she gave us very confusing, as she made diagrams which didn't work given that she drew arrows in the wrong directions, meaning that the diagrams didn't work with the measurements we were given.
I'm really not sure what to do, as we're missing out on so much science which is extremely important for our GCSEs, given we are a year 11 class. Luckily, she has been banned already from teaching us new topics, and so can only revise with us, however she is teaching us not to do certain things for the things we are revising, such as banning us from using equation triangles in her class and claiming that we are not allowed to use them in the real exams.
Everything she does seems to be very inadequate, and I'm seeking advice for how to handle this, as her being barred from teaching new things has caused our other science teachers to have to rush their own lessons in order to teach hers.

Oh dear.

If she is new to teaching, then I suppose it can happen.

I recommend looking through the specification for your GCSE science subject and check that you understand the material. If you don't, then take out the necessary textbook and revission guide for your exam board to look through, reading the relevant material.

I would also test your knowledge using past papers and relevant practice exam questions to check whether you can get all of the marks. If you don't, review the mark scheme and check to see where you went wrong.
If you don't know the material, then read up on it via the textbook or the revision guide if it's detailed enough.
Original post by Broklai
Hi everyone,

The good news is this will prepare you fully for University education. Good to get the practice in early, than to be completely shocked by the sub standard levels of teaching at many universities.
Reply 3
Original post by MindMax2000
Oh dear.

If she is new to teaching, then I suppose it can happen.

I recommend looking through the specification for your GCSE science subject and check that you understand the material. If you don't, then take out the necessary textbook and revission guide for your exam board to look through, reading the relevant material.

I would also test your knowledge using past papers and relevant practice exam questions to check whether you can get all of the marks. If you don't, review the mark scheme and check to see where you went wrong.
If you don't know the material, then read up on it via the textbook or the revision guide if it's detailed enough.

Thank you so much, this is a huge help and I'll start right away, it feels like there's no time to lose already until the real GCSEs haha

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending