The Student Room Group

Extenuating Circumstances

Hello, I'm unsure of where else on the internet to discuss this problem.

However, for the past 2 years, my mum has had terminal lung cancer and its been truly hard to cope. Some days I struggle to revise because of it and it randomly pops up while doing some of my GCSE exams and is very distracting.

I'm wondering whether I should apply for special consideration but I'm not sure who to ask and whether it meets the criteria to apply for special consideration - who should I tell and should I apply for it?

I'd be grateful for any replies.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Asking123

However, for the past 2 years, my mum has had terminal lung cancer and its been truly hard to cope. Some days I struggle to revise because of it and it randomly pops up while doing some of my GCSE exams and is very distracting.

I'm wondering whether I should apply for special consideration but I'm not sure who to ask and whether it meets the criteria to apply for special consideration - who should I tell and should I apply for it?

I already answered your other thread. Go and see your exam officer asap as you need to get the application off. They will have the forms. You absolutely should apply. You can get between 1-5% extra marks.
Original post by Asking123

This definitely qualifies for special consideration (heck, my hayfever attack in the middle of the Literature exam qualified even though I don't think it affected my performance). Talk to your Exams Officer - you could get extra marks. Your predicted or mock exam grades might be taken into account as well - if you scored highly in those and poorly in the real exam, you could get quite a lot of extra marks added.

Quick Reply

Latest