The Student Room Group

Literature Review subject?

I'm going into my 3rd year of a social work degree in September and I know its early but I'm thinking about my dissertation subject. The reason for this is I have depression/anxiety and with a full on 100 day placement and being a single mum to a 5 year old alongside the academic side of things I know it'll get on top of me if I don't start making preparations now.

My proposed subject is "A literature review exploring the impact of childhood abuse and neglect on relationships in adulthood"

Does this sound sufficient?
Original post by MissMymmyStudent
I'm going into my 3rd year of a social work degree in September and I know its early but I'm thinking about my dissertation subject. The reason for this is I have depression/anxiety and with a full on 100 day placement and being a single mum to a 5 year old alongside the academic side of things I know it'll get on top of me if I don't start making preparations now.

My proposed subject is "A literature review exploring the impact of childhood abuse and neglect on relationships in adulthood"

That sounds like a good topic but the other things to consider are who your supervisor is going to be and what they think or this. You may also want to consider specifics of maybe what kind of child abuse or what parts of a relationship they have an effect on for example trust or longevity. Have a look at work that's already been done to work out which ones have the most material to write about and that you can form an educated opinion about. You can also start to plan your review in terms of structure and arguments.
Reply 2

I agree that the topic needs to be discussed with your supervisor before you spend time in planning.

I come from a different field, so this may not apply, but we were told that a lit review alone would not get us a good mark and would be a 2:2 maximum. Usually, a lit review is just one element of a dissertation.

it really doesn't a literature review should only be about 2000 words it only formed part of my 10,000 word report by all means do one as part of your final project but on it's own it won't be enough.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending