The Student Room Group

Personal Statement help for English at University

Any interesting ideas please drop them below/ message me

Much appreciated
A personal statement is called a personal statement for a reason! If the ideas and writing in it don't emanate from you and your interests, that may well come across (especially if you're applying to unis that interview)...
Reply 2
Original post by CelinaAmarouch£
Any interesting ideas please drop them below/ message me

Much appreciated

Perhaps if you note some initial ideas here, then maybe others can help build upon your ideas, but we need a solid foundation from you, as this is your statement and not ours !
Thanks for your reply. I'm not sure if English is my ultimate course but may be the course I choose since I'm not sure what else I'd do.

If you do not have a burning desire for the subject, what are ways to express interest in the subject in a more memorable & convincing way?
(edited 8 months ago)
Thanks for the valuable reply, do you do English?

Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd
A personal statement is called a personal statement for a reason! If the ideas and writing in it don't emanate from you and your interests, that may well come across (especially if you're applying to unis that interview)...
Thanks for the valuable reply, do you do English?

No, I did music - but I used to be a Personal Statement Reviewer on here and have seen many English PSes across a 15-year period :yes:
Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd
No, I did music - but I used to be a Personal Statement Reviewer on here and have seen many English PSes across a 15-year period :yes:

Nice!, do you mind me taking your email so we can stay in touch whenever I have a question if that's okay with you

What is the Num1 mistake you see - or in your experience what were some features in the best PS's you've seen?
Nice!, do you mind me taking your email so we can stay in touch whenever I have a question if that's okay with you

What is the Num1 mistake you see - or in your experience what were some features in the best PS's you've seen?

I don't give out my email address - you can ask me any questions you have in this thread :yes: Or, once you have a draft, you can use TSR's PS Review service (which I'm no longer part of, but there are people there who can/will review your statement).

I think the number one mistake I've seen is people using lengthy quotes from books or films, which is a waste of characters when you only have 4000 to play with! For an English Lit PS, it's important to show breadth and depth of reading (breadth as in, not just sticking solely to one era of literature, and depth as in commenting properly on what you've read) at the same time, which can be tricky. Demonstrating an interest in literature beyond the school syllabus is vital. For top unis, it's always good to include literary criticism books among the books you're citing too :yes:
Understood, thank you!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending