The Student Room Group

English language paper 1- How do they mark

I heard somewhere that the question 2 and 4 are marked by different examiners and because they're so similar kinda you can talk about pretty much the same things, which is good under exam pressure but if they're marked by the same examiner do you get marked down for not thinking up original points for each question?
Reply 1
All the questions are marked separately. Like one examiner marks q1, another marks q2 and so on. So it doesn't matter at all if you've written the same thing for questions 2 and 4 - as long as its relevant and detailed it'll be fine.
Though I have to wish good luck to the examiners marking q5....
Thank you that's really helpful!! And so true, I hope their really kind to us😅
You definitely won't get penalised for repeating points in different questions. Examiners must follow the mark scheme to the letter. You should be able to access a mark scheme either online or from your school.
Be careful though. Question 2 asks you to analyse precisely some short examples of language use to explain their effect on the reader. Question 4 asks you to justify your support for an opinion, and to explain how the writer has presented this idea. Although you might be allowed to choose the same example to quote and analyse for both questions, your point and explanation will probably be different. Most examples I have seen choose an extract from near the start for question 2, and base question 4 on the second half of the text, making it impossible to duplicate ideas.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending