The Student Room Group

statistics 1 edexcel

what formulas are not given that we need to know or are they all given?

anyone have and resources or tips? especially for probability
here are all the formulas given by edexcel :smile:

make sure you know how to prove whether events are independent or mutually exclusive, and also make sure to read the questions carefully, especially the probability questions. for the more trickier wordier probability questions, the first thing you should do is list all the potential outcomes and make sure you have not missed any. then continue on to work out the probabilities. and even for more basic questions, drawing a venn or tree diagram can help make these questions easier and could also potentially get you some marks.

also, for probability questions, remember that in certain cases, for example, picking a counter out of a bag where it is not replaced, the denominator will change as you progress along. so if there were 6 red counters and 4 blue counters, the probability of picking two reds in a row would be 6/10 x 5/9. keep that in mind as sometimes the question may not state something hasn't been replaced because they'd assume you to figure it out yourself depending on the context of the question, for example if we're dealing with selecting people from a group etc.

for resources, if you want to practise probability, i suggest checking out the "questions by topic" for probability on physicsandmathstutor.com and also watching videos by exam solutions or hegarty maths. i was really struggling with probability so i also decided to do some aqa past paper questions on it, and that definitely helped, although some of their questions were a bit different to ours.

hopefully this helps :smile: good luck

edit // also make sure you know the general formula for outliers but also for figuring out skewness of data, like mode < median < mean equals +ve skew,
Q2-Q1 < Q3 - Q2 equals +ve skew
as well as other formulas like 3(mean - median)/standard deviation.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by ashaxo99
here are all the formulas given by edexcel :smile:

make sure you know how to prove whether events are independent or mutually exclusive, and also make sure to read the questions carefully, especially the probability questions. for the more trickier wordier probability questions, the first thing you should do is list all the potential outcomes and make sure you have not missed any. then continue on to work out the probabilities. and even for more basic questions, drawing a venn or tree diagram can help make these questions easier and could also potentially get you some marks.

also, for probability questions, remember that in certain cases, for example, picking a counter out of a bag where it is not replaced, the denominator will change as you progress along. so if there were 6 red counters and 4 blue counters, the probability of picking two reds in a row would be 6/10 x 5/9. keep that in mind as sometimes the question may not state something hasn't been replaced because they'd assume you to figure it out yourself depending on the context of the question, for example if we're dealing with selecting people from a group etc.

for resources, if you want to practise probability, i suggest checking out the "questions by topic" for probability on physicsandmathstutor.com and also watching videos by exam solutions or hegarty maths. i was really struggling with probability so i also decided to do some aqa past paper questions on it, and that definitely helped, although some of their questions were a bit different to ours.

hopefully this helps :smile: good luck

edit // also make sure you know the general formula for outliers but also for figuring out skewness of data, like mode < median < mean equals +ve skew,
Q2-Q1 < Q3 - Q2 equals +ve skew
as well as other formulas like 3(mean - median)/standard deviation.

Thank you !!
you're welcome! good luck :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest