The Student Room Group

Losing my dad

It's been almost 3 years since I lost my dad and I still struggle with it almost daily. Sometimes I feel like I can't breath or I can't get out of bed and do anything. I feel like my grandparents and my mum think I've been dealing with it okay and I don't know how to tell them I'm really not. I feel like if i tell someone how I feel they'll me that its been three years and I shouldn't be so sad about it. I really don't know how to deal with it and my revision has been suffering as a result.
Reply 1
Original post by Anonymous
It's been almost 3 years since I lost my dad and I still struggle with it almost daily. Sometimes I feel like I can't breath or I can't get out of bed and do anything. I feel like my grandparents and my mum think I've been dealing with it okay and I don't know how to tell them I'm really not. I feel like if i tell someone how I feel they'll me that its been three years and I shouldn't be so sad about it. I really don't know how to deal with it and my revision has been suffering as a result.

I am sorry for your loss.
It must be hard losing someone so close to you I can imagine. It is ok to still feel sad but you mustn't let yourself dwell in the past. Your father must have wanted you to do well and he would have encouraged you to do your best in your GCSE's- just think of it like that.
Also, talk to someone, that is really important. Tell your mum you feel this way.
Reply 2
I'd like to say it gets better, I suppose it does a bit, but I'm in the same situation after 5 years.

Talk to someone. Anyone who says you shouldn't be sad because it's been 3 years isnt worth your time. Death affects everyone differently. And it never leaves you.

I'm sure your mum will be having similar feelings, try speaking to her?

Your dad would want you to succeed, just try and do your revision with him in mind positively inspiring you and leading you on your path to do well.
Dont be stupid. I too lost my dad recently and sometimes I dont even want to live anymore and get out of bed. There are days where I am perfectly fine and happy and days where I realize how different things would be if he were here and I burst out crying. The emotions you are feeling are completely normal. The truth is you never get over the loss of a loved one, rather you walk around with that empty hole in your chest and try and get used to it. You definitely need to talk to someone about it whether its you mum or a therapist. You can even talk to me about it, just drop me a PM. But you definitely need to seek help as its affecting your everyday life. Hope you are okay and I am sorry for your loss hun.
Reply 4
Original post by Anonymous

Have you tried counselling? Sometimes it's just the act of talking and releasing some of that emotion that helps. Most counsellors will also be used to dealing with grief in various forms so should A) not judge you and B) have some good advice.
If you are in education, whatever school/ uni etc you go to should have some links to or info on a counselling service you can use (often for free).

I will also just mention that it is entirely possible to develop depression of some level after a traumatic moment like death (it was a big contributor to mine). Mind.org and Sane.org have some info and advice which is good for depression and that should also help with similar feelings (grieving etc) to at least some extent. If you believe that things may have developed further than grieving for you, you may want to consider seeing a doctor.

I'm sorry that you had to go through that and that you are still finding it difficult. You are by no means alone.

Quick Reply

Latest