The Student Room Group

GCSE's and medical school

Hi guys, I'm currently in year 12, wanting to apply to medical school next year. I'm hoping for 3 A's next year, although with the state of this years exams I'm not sure! But I want to work really hard for 3 A's at A level maths, chemistry, and biology.
At GCSE, I got 4A*s, a distinction star in BTEC PE, 5A's and a B. I know these grades aren't amazing, and you have to be strategic applying to medicine, what medical schools do you think will be best for my GCSE's? I know Birmingham require a really high number of A*s for example.
I did a weeks work experience at my local hospital, I'm a young leader at scouts where I'm also qualified to teach kayaking and I'm also head boy at my school. I will also hopefully be helping at a respite summer holiday centre for a week in the summer, and also volunteering as an events first aider for a medical company. I also have grade 8 keyboard distinction, and I'm about to do grade 8 piano. I also play trumpet in ensembles at school, and have played piano for an international scout band, playing concerts to over 5000 people.

Thanks!
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 1
Those GCSEs look fine for most medical schools. Some schools like Cardiff, Birmingham, Oxford, Cambridge and the London unis tend to focus highly on GCSEs with some wanting a tonne of A*s

I'm an offer holder for Liverpool medical school and I only got 2 A*s at GCSE, much lower than a lot of people I know who are offer holders.

I would take a look at the websites of all of the medical schools, I think there is a list on here to all of their websites.

I applied to Liverpool, Manchester, Bristol and Leicester and my GCSE grades were good enough to get interviews, some medical schools only really care if you got at least a B in english and maths and aren't too bothered about the number of A*s

I am sure your GCSEs are fine and probably should be the least of your worries about your application, you are in a relatively strong position for most medical schools out there.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by SamDD
Those GCSEs look fine for most medical schools. Some schools like Cardiff, Birmingham, Oxford, Cambridge and the London unis tend to focus highly on GCSEs with some wanting a tonne of A*s

I'm an offer holder for Liverpool medical school and I only got 2 A*s at GCSE, much lower than a lot of people I know who are offer holders.

I would take a look at the websites of all of the medical schools, I think there is a list on here to all of their websites.

I applied to Liverpool, Manchester, Bristol and Leicester and my GCSE grades were good enough to get interviews, some medical schools only really care if you got at least a B in english and maths and aren't too bothered about the number of A*s

I am sure your GCSEs are fine and probably should be the least of your worries about your application, you are in a relatively strong position for most medical schools out there.

Do you think my experience etc. is good enough? What else can I be doing do you think? What did you do? Thanks for the help!
My maths exams this year have gone terribly, I was hoping for high A's, getting 70s in past papers, and then found C1, C2, and especially S1 extremely difficult, almost impossible in places. Do medical schools let you resit modules like C1, C2 and S1 next year?
Reply 3
Original post by jackoaskew
Do you think my experience etc. is good enough? What else can I be doing do you think? What did you do? Thanks for the help!
My maths exams this year have gone terribly, I was hoping for high A's, getting 70s in past papers, and then found C1, C2, and especially S1 extremely difficult, almost impossible in places. Do medical schools let you resit modules like C1, C2 and S1 next year?

I honestly wouldn't worry. I got a D in AS maths last year and still somehow managed to get a place at medical school.

I made sure I did a tonne of studying for the aptitude tests, I only applied to UKCAT universities so that made it a bit easier too, I would tend to stick to studying for one test as I know people who have studied for both the UKCAT and BMAT and did poorly in both because they were too stressed and they did them at a similar time.

The aptitude test is very important and most medical schools have quite high cutoff points for it, for example, I think Liverpool was 625 to be even considered for an offer this year.

I would also make sure that you are doing a tonne of work experience too, and a large variety. I did quite a few different kinds of volunteering so I could talk about a large range of skills in my personal statement and my interview. You obviously have a very good lineup of extra curricular activities, which medical schools tend to like very much as it shows some personality. However, I would advise you to start building more medical based skills like empathy and sympathy possibly through hospital volunteering which is what I did.

As most A-levels have gone linear, most medical schools don't really care about your actual achieved AS grades and instead only care about your predicted A2 grades, so I wouldn't worry too much about your AS results as they will likely not count towards much, plus you can resit maths modules anyway and universities don't really care as it is a modular subject.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by SamDD
I honestly wouldn't worry. I got a D in AS maths last year and still somehow managed to get a place at medical school.

I made sure I did a tonne of studying for the aptitude tests, I only applied to UKCAT universities so that made it a bit easier too, I would tend to stick to studying for one test as I know people who have studied for both the UKCAT and BMAT and did poorly in both because they were too stressed and they did them at a similar time.

The aptitude test is very important and most medical schools have quite high cutoff points for it, for example, I think Liverpool was 625 to be even considered for an offer this year.

I would also make sure that you are doing a tonne of work experience too, and a large variety. I did quite a few different kinds of volunteering so I could talk about a large range of skills in my personal statement and my interview. You obviously have a very good lineup of extra curricular activities, which medical schools tend to like very much as it shows some personality. However, I would advise you to start building more medical based skills like empathy and sympathy possibly through hospital volunteering which is what I did.

As most A-levels have gone linear, most medical schools don't really care about your actual achieved AS grades and instead only care about your predicted A2 grades, so I wouldn't worry too much about your AS results as they will likely not count towards much, plus you can resit maths modules anyway and universities don't really care as it is a modular subject.

Ok, thank you very much for your help, best of luck for your exams!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending