The Student Room Group

Family and Beliefs - Sociology A2

Can someone give me a simple structure to follow to get good marks in the 10 markers for paper 2 in sociology?
Much appreciated x
Original post by Maja.Ward100
Can someone give me a simple structure to follow to get good marks in the 10 markers for paper 2 in sociology?
Much appreciated x

PEEL - Point (theorist/concept/etc), Explain (develop what the theorist means), Evidence (example, various cults, domestic abuse etc.), Link (back to the question to give your point context and coherence)

1) If the question has a key word, begin by writing a brief explanation as an intro.

2) Then you want either 2/3 developed paragraphs, or a bunch of smaller ones if you're strapped for time/uncertain.

3) Then finish it off with a mini conclusion that links your points back to the original question if you have the time to do so.

So:

Mini intro > Paragraph 1> Paragraph 2/maybe 3 > Mini conclusion

And that is how I got an A*.
Original post by wolfieblob
PEEL - Point (theorist/concept/etc), Explain (develop what the theorist means), Evidence (example, various cults, domestic abuse etc.), Link (back to the question to give your point context and coherence)

1) If the question has a key word, begin by writing a brief explanation as an intro.

2) Then you want either 2/3 developed paragraphs, or a bunch of smaller ones if you're strapped for time/uncertain.

3) Then finish it off with a mini conclusion that links your points back to the original question if you have the time to do so.

So:

Have you got any tips for a 20 marker?
Original post by cherrybombs
Have you got any tips for a 20 marker?

Well first you want to know whether you'll be debating or just listing points and explaining them so make sure you pay attention to how the question is worded first.

For each paragraph it's just PEEL. 20 markers are just massive sandwiches.

1) Intro is just a small paragraph outlining any keywords/concepts but in slightly more depth than a 10 marker.

2) You'll want at least 4 - 6 developed paragraphs (depending on how much you can write, I'd recommend timing how much you can do), or lots of smaller ones, it really depends on your writing style.

3) If it's a debate essay, you would ideally want to alternate between one paragraph supporting the essay question and one that critiques it and the previous theorist. If it's a list, just do what you want but try and critique anyway (it shows that you're smart and examiners appreciate that you evaluate theories).

4) Then write a nice little conclusion that links your paragraphs back to the essay question, don't introduce anything vastly different or new because you won't have time to explain it or you'll look like you've rushed your essay. (plus the examiners find it a bit sneaky of you)

So you have your intro (bread) > paragraph one in support of the point (meat)> critque (veg) > alternating paragraphs > conclusion (bread)

Having alternating support and critique shows that you know how to properly structure an argument which may get you extra marks.

And even if you're writing a supportive paragraph you can evaluate it before you link back to the question, it's how you get those extra marks for the A*.

So:

Thank you very much! Just need to actually know the material now
Original post by Maja.Ward100
Thank you very much! Just need to actually know the material now

No problem.

Good luck dude, even if you can't remember a theorists name if you can remember the theory you'll be ok :biggrin:

If you can remember a bunch of folks from the other topics, cross-referencing will help you out so much, like anti-school subcultures and single parent families or joining sects because they tend to be disadvantaged people. (I haven't studied socio in over a year now so I can't remember the relevant theorists, but you get the gist right?)

Once you see the connections you'll be a master at it honestly, it was the easiest A* ever, the only worry is managing your timing in the exam, organisation is key.
Well first you want to know whether you'll be debating or just listing points and explaining them so make sure you pay attention to how the question is worded first.

For each paragraph it's just PEEL. 20 markers are just massive sandwiches.

1) Intro is just a small paragraph outlining any keywords/concepts but in slightly more depth than a 10 marker.

2) You'll want at least 4 - 6 developed paragraphs (depending on how much you can write, I'd recommend timing how much you can do), or lots of smaller ones, it really depends on your writing style.

3) If it's a debate essay, you would ideally want to alternate between one paragraph supporting the essay question and one that critiques it and the previous theorist. If it's a list, just do what you want but try and critique anyway (it shows that you're smart and examiners appreciate that you evaluate theories).

4) Then write a nice little conclusion that links your paragraphs back to the essay question, don't introduce anything vastly different or new because you won't have time to explain it or you'll look like you've rushed your essay. (plus the examiners find it a bit sneaky of you)

So you have your intro (bread) > paragraph one in support of the point (meat)> critque (veg) > alternating paragraphs > conclusion (bread)

Having alternating support and critique shows that you know how to properly structure an argument which may get you extra marks.

And even if you're writing a supportive paragraph you can evaluate it before you link back to the question, it's how you get those extra marks for the A*.

Thank you so much this was so helpful! So I assume the difference between the 10/20/30 markers is the amount of points in the middle of the essay, as well as evaluative views?
Original post by cherrybombs
Thank you so much this was so helpful! So I assume the difference between the 10/20/30 markers is the amount of points in the middle of the essay, as well as evaluative views?

Ah it's no problem dude.

Yep, it's just length and depth really.

Quick Reply

Latest