The Student Room Group

There should be a public vote for issues like refugees?

We the public who have to actually live with these people in the real world never get to have a say on these issues. I'm sick of politicians allowing anyone in and making decisions without consulting the British public first.

There should be a public vote such as an referendum regarding any new groups of immigrants.

Scroll to see replies

Imagine back just before mass immigration in the West started

That there was a vote, just like we voted a few days and and the EU referendum...

What do you think people would say?

NO

Today it's a different story with the democide of our population but I have no doubt we could still vote no.
Refugees are people who are seeking shelter from DANGER. It would be completely inhumane to turn them away when they are at risk of getting killed. Yes, there may be cultural differences between us and refugees but at the end of the day, we're human just like them.
Original post by Sarahsez
We the public who have to actually live with these people in the real world never get to have a say on these issues. I'm sick of politicians allowing anyone in and making decisions without consulting the British public first.

There should be a public vote such as an referendum regarding any new groups of immigrants.

I think The electorate, Brenda from Bristol and myself are all fed up with voting!

-- and when do you think your desired outcome will stop? hmm... votes for this, votes for that! accountability will fly out the window and we WILL be saddled with polls, marketeers, confusion and Votes on the legitimacy of votes

yes voting has its place, but it doesn't benefit every decision.
No. The public will vote for anything as long as you put enough money into propaganda.
Yes, there should be
Reply 6
Idiotic idea. Refugees come here through international human rights laws that protect everyone including us.
Original post by Plagioclase
No. The public will vote for anything as long as you put enough money into propaganda.

Then why should we have general elections? Should we scrap the GE, seeing as it's basically always what Murdoch wants anyway?
Reply 8
Original post by HotDetermination
Refugees are people who are seeking shelter from DANGER. It would be completely inhumane to turn them away when they are at risk of getting killed. Yes, there may be cultural differences between us and refugees but at the end of the day, we're human just like them.

Dude I live in an area where many refugees have moved into. Some are very nice and want to make a good life but many of the men look at women differently and are freaking perverts and proud of it!
Original post by Zargabaath
Should we scrap the GE, seeing as it's basically always what Murdoch wants anyway?

Whilst I find the idea of a technocracy appealing, I don't think I could advocate overthrowing democracy yet. But the public has clearly demonstrated over the past few years that it is incapable of making informed decisions on single-issue, policy-based referenda so they must go. We live in a representative democracy rather than a direct democracy for a reason.
Dude I live in an area where many refugees have moved into. Some are very nice and want to make a good life but many of the men look at women differently and are freaking perverts and proud of it!

Regardless, that's much a small price to pay for the many people whose lives won't be endangered anymore.
Reply 11

Well if you support taking in refugees you should house one in your home. Are you actually gonna do that? No. So stfu.

Thank you, +1
Reply 13
Regardless, that's much a small price to pay for the many people whose lives won't be endangered anymore.

So rapists are fine to come into our society as long as we've saved them?

What about our protection? E.g. Cologne, rape rise in Sweden etc

bleeding heart liberal let them stay over at your house since you care somuch and see how you like them then. See how they view your female relatives.

Oh no I forgot you're a hypocrite just like most leftie luvvies. Just throw them into some village as long you're away from them yourself.
(edited 6 years ago)
How come all the (((refugees))) are middle aged men, not fighting in Syria?
So rapists are fine to come into our society as long as we've saved them?

What about our protection? E.g. Cologne, rape rise in Sweden etc

bleeding heart liberal let them stay over at your house since you care somuch and see how you like them then. See how they view your female relatives.

Oh no I forgot you're a hypocrite just like most leftie luvvies. Just throw them into some village as long you're away from them yourself.

https://debunkingdenialism.com/2015/12/12/how-anti-immigration-activists-misuse-rape-statistics/

you can claim they're rapists, the stats don't bear that out. What they are though is people fleeing oppressive regimes where they face genuine danger if they stay, and have right to be sheltered from that in international law.

Should we let the public vote on overriding international law? Not unless we want to be pariahs, no.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 16
Original post by Stiff Little Fingers
https://debunkingdenialism.com/2015/12/12/how-anti-immigration-activists-misuse-rape-statistics/

you can claim they're rapists, the stats don't bear that out. What they are though is people fleeing oppressive regimes where they face genuine danger if they stay, and have right to be sheltered from that in international law.

Should we let the public vote on overriding international law? Not unless we want to be pariahs, no.

Posted from TSR Mobile

So cologne didn't happen???
So cologne didn't happen???

Yes. That's definitely what that post said :rolleyes:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 18
Original post by Stiff Little Fingers

Posted from TSR Mobile

I have nothing against refugees. But I am against mass immigration from a culture completely alien to Western values and culture. They view on women is completely different.

Also 90 percent of these so called refugees appear to be young fit sexually frustrated males which can lead to many problems.
In my opinion, you should allow any refugees that are made up of a man a woman and children, basically a family with meaningful documents and forms of identification into the country, anything else outside of that is a no from me.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending