The Student Room Group

why do enzymes need to be water soluble?

they are water soluble bc polar amino acids are on the outside of the tertiary structure and non-polar on the inside but WHY is this importnat?
Reply 1
Original post by medhelp
they are water soluble bc polar amino acids are on the outside of the tertiary structure and non-polar on the inside but WHY is this importnat?

Like you said enzymes have polar amino acids on the outside and non-polar on the inside, so they are shaped like a ball meaning they are globular proteins. So in water, polar amino acids on the outside form hydrogen bonds with water molecules. This basically means enzymes dissolve in water and are able to catalyse whatever reaction they need to catalyse
Original post by anonest
Like you said enzymes have polar amino acids on the outside and non-polar on the inside, so they are shaped like a ball meaning they are globular proteins. So in water, polar amino acids on the outside form hydrogen bonds with water molecules. This basically means enzymes dissolve in water and are able to catalyse whatever reaction they need to catalyse

Hi,

I just thought it would be an important reminder that proteins such as hormones and enzymes need to be soluble so they can be transported where they are needed.To ensure that they are soluble, they must be polar on the outside so they can effectively form hydrogen bonds.

You probably already know this.
GL
-Frustrated Horse
Reply 3
Original post by FrustratedHorse
Hi,

I just thought it would be an important reminder that proteins such as hormones and enzymes need to be soluble so they can be transported where they are needed.To ensure that they are soluble, they must be polar on the outside so they can effectively form hydrogen bonds.

You probably already know this.
GL
-Frustrated Horse

Ohh yh I forgot about the transport bit, thanks :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest