The Student Room Group

Is it really justifiable to not put the real resit grades on a students transcript?

Hi there,

I think I understand why resits are capped, it's because it would be unfair on other students who don't get a second chance to better their grades when they might have just scraped a pass, while you would let those who have failed (for numerous reasons, including laziness) a second chance.

Briefly, I'm just finishing a MSc Computer Science conversions course (my bachelor's was in politics (first class)). I mention my grade just to point out that I don't believe I have performed poorly due to laziness, rather just my mathematical illiteracy and lack of problem solving skills have always been somewhat below average.

I haven't found out yet, but I should be allowed to resit two modules I have failed. Both will capped at the pass mark (50 percent).

I performed abysmally in the option module (assessment is weighted Coursework 1 & 2 -10% each, labs - 10%, and exam - 70%), I got 50 percent in the first coursework, didn't attempt the second coursework and didn't pick up any lab marks. Failed the exam badly. If I pass the resit, the maximum I'll get for the module is 40%, "tolerated failure".

The point I really want to make is that the material for the course is slowly starting to sink in, I'm starting to catch up with the maths and I just know I'll nail the resits in August, I haven't stopped revising even after I took the exams, I'm determined to get the material locked in. I'm not far off, I just know it.

I want to move onto a PHD after this, my transcript won't look all that impressive with the tolerated failures, but I've done okay in a few other modules and assuming my thesis is graded highly, can't I put a note on my transcript explaining my actual grades I got in the resits (because if I score really high then surly that's what reflects my actual ability, albeit it took me a few extra months to get there).

I get that the university can't put my actual resit results on the transcript for fairness reasons.
But what's the downside of me putting a note on my transcript to explain the tolerated failures? Would I have to take to the grave my actual resit results?

It seems a bit silly that I can't explicitly or formally state to a potential employer or academic that my ability in this particular topic is actually more in line with a student who got a merit or distinction.

Thanks for reading, all comments would be greatly appreciated.
Putting resit grades kinda defeats the object of capping resits at 40%, as well as allowing low achieving students multiple chances to get a better score - which is unfair to those who passed first time.

A student who gets a merit or distinction has consistently worked at that level at university. Someone who requires multiple retakes to get there is not in the same league and shouldn't be placed at the same level.

Employers need to know who is actually qualified to work for them, not anybody who think they deserve to. I don't want my surgery to be carried out by people who need multiple attempts to get it right or people allowed to pass when they're not good enough.
Original post by BillMurray
Hi there,

I think I understand why resits are capped, it's because it would be unfair on other students who don't get a second chance to better their grades when they might have just scraped a pass, while you would let those who have failed (for numerous reasons, including laziness) a second chance.

Briefly, I'm just finishing a MSc Computer Science conversions course (my bachelor's was in politics (first class)). I mention my grade just to point out that I don't believe I have performed poorly due to laziness, rather just my mathematical illiteracy and lack of problem solving skills have always been somewhat below average.

I haven't found out yet, but I should be allowed to resit two modules I have failed. Both will capped at the pass mark (50 percent).

I performed abysmally in the option module (assessment is weighted Coursework 1 & 2 -10% each, labs - 10%, and exam - 70%), I got 50 percent in the first coursework, didn't attempt the second coursework and didn't pick up any lab marks. Failed the exam badly. If I pass the resit, the maximum I'll get for the module is 40%, "tolerated failure".

The point I really want to make is that the material for the course is slowly starting to sink in, I'm starting to catch up with the maths and I just know I'll nail the resits in August, I haven't stopped revising even after I took the exams, I'm determined to get the material locked in. I'm not far off, I just know it.

I want to move onto a PHD after this, my transcript won't look all that impressive with the tolerated failures, but I've done okay in a few other modules and assuming my thesis is graded highly, can't I put a note on my transcript explaining my actual grades I got in the resits (because if I score really high then surly that's what reflects my actual ability, albeit it took me a few extra months to get there).

I get that the university can't put my actual resit results on the transcript for fairness reasons.
But what's the downside of me putting a note on my transcript to explain the tolerated failures? Would I have to take to the grave my actual resit results?

It seems a bit silly that I can't explicitly or formally state to a potential employer or academic that my ability in this particular topic is actually more in line with a student who got a merit or distinction.

You can mention the fact beforehand or include a note or mention it in interview if you wish. You cant alter the transcript. Im sure they have lots of experience with the situation , so they will take it all into consideration.
Reply 3
Original post by ThePricklyOne
Putting resit grades kinda defeats the object of capping resits at 40%, as well as allowing low achieving students multiple chances to get a better score - which is unfair to those who passed first time.

A student who gets a merit or distinction has consistently worked at that level at university. Someone who requires multiple retakes to get there is not in the same league and shouldn't be placed at the same level.

Employers need to know who is actually qualified to work for them, not anybody who think they deserve to. I don't want my surgery to be carried out by people who need multiple attempts to get it right or people allowed to pass when they're not good enough.

Thanks for the response. You use the word multiple, I'm talking about one extra attempt to redeem a failure, I don't anywhere allows students multiple attempts.

I'll be more explicit with my example to explain my point better. I failed an IT security exam, I'll have one more chance to retake it in August, by September the degree is over and I'll have graduated in time with everyone else.

Imagine for a second that what follows is what will happen, I suspect it will happen given that I'm already starting to understand the material better.

The way I look at it is that yes, for whatever reason (mainly that my background was not in the sciences, engineering or maths as everyone else was) it took me an extra 2 months to fully understand the material for this class. However, now I'm up to date, I got a high grade in my resit proving my ability. I'm now at the same level as other students in my class (it's not like they have done anything extra after they passed the exam two months prior), regardless that they did it two months quicker than me, what matters is that I FULLY understand the material now.

I mean, in this particular module I was studying alongside third year undergrads, advanced master students (they all had years more experience than me in maths, programming and other Computer Science concepts).

Again, I accept that on my transcript they cannot put my actual resit result. But surely it would not be dishonest for me to attach a note to my transcript explaining (if it's worth it of course, if I only scraped a pass the second time around then that would be different) my actual resit result so the employer/academic can make a decision that actually reflects my ability at that current time?
Reply 4
Original post by 999tigger
You can mention the fact beforehand or include a note or mention it in interview if you wish. You cant alter the transcript. Im sure they have lots of experience with the situation , so they will take it all into consideration.

Thanks for your reply, of course I don't mean altering my transcript, that would be fraud ha!

I simply mean attaching a note if I perform significantly better in my second attempt at the resit exams explaining the result in order to show that I can now comprehend and apply the material at a very high level.

Or at least that's what I hope to be able to do!
Thanks for your reply, of course I don't mean altering my transcript, that would be fraud ha!

I simply mean attaching a note if I perform significantly better in my second attempt at the resit exams explaining the result in order to show that I can now comprehend and apply the material at a very high level.

Or at least that's what I hope to be able to do!

I cant see why not. I can imagine fr an MA it will be really awkward having the couple of fails when trying to move forward. As long as you arent trying t deceive then you are fine imo. Another way would be to get your referee to raise it or address it in interview.
Hi there,

You can, of course, append a note with something like this on it - you're not suggesting you alter the transcript (most are digital now anyway) so there's no reason why you can't do this. However, I don't think anyone considering whether or not to admit you for a PhD would care much about it. They would want to see consistently high marks with clear progress, and a failure in a final-year paper (module) is a huge red flag. I honestly can't see you securing a PhD place with this.

Sorry I can't be more positive for you.

Have to disagree with this as long as you put both marks down then the results speak for themselves. Exams are just how you performed on the day and most exams can be retaken. If you want to follow it through then people shouldnt be allowed to retake anything be that driving test, A levels, professional exams. Just because you had a poor GCSE shouldnt and wont mean you can never improve.
Thanks for the response. You use the word multiple, I'm talking about one extra attempt to redeem a failure, I don't anywhere allows students multiple attempts.

Multiple - because you are given one chance to continue your course via a retake when you fail, but you want yet another chance - to alter your transcript ignoring the rule that retakes are capped at 40%. So you get a choice of 2 scores (possibly picking the higher one) when everyone else gets just one score.

I'll be more explicit with my example to explain my point better. I failed an IT security exam, I'll have one more chance to retake it in August, by September the degree is over and I'll have graduated in time with everyone else.

Imagine for a second that what follows is what will happen, I suspect it will happen given that I'm already starting to understand the material better.

The way I look at it is that yes, for whatever reason (mainly that my background was not in the sciences, engineering or maths as everyone else was) it took me an extra 2 months to fully understand the material for this class. However, now I'm up to date, I got a high grade in my resit proving my ability. I'm now at the same level as other students in my class (it's not like they have done anything extra after they passed the exam two months prior), regardless that they did it two months quicker than me, what matters is that I FULLY understand the material now.

That happens to everyone else too. I planned to take Languages for my degree but changed my mind to take IT with Maths. So it's my responsibility to read up on things/ do additional studying to make sure I'm ready for my course, considering I didn't take IT or Statistics at A Level, plus I took a gap year, so I didn't go to uni when the A Level stuff was fresh in my mind.

I mean, in this particular module I was studying alongside third year undergrads, advanced master students (they all had years more experience than me in maths, programming and other Computer Science concepts).

I'm an undergrad along with mature students who already have IT degrees (they're here to update their now obsolete degrees taken 10 years ago), people who are sent over from their IT jobs to skill up for their work, and brainy types who've done their programming / hacking when they were 5. Life is unfair. Strength of character is learning to deal with stuff that seem unfair. And not demand special treatment/things tweaked to make you look better.

Again, I accept that on my transcript they cannot put my actual resit result. But surely it would not be dishonest for me to attach a note to my transcript explaining (if it's worth it of course, if I only scraped a pass the second time around then that would be different) my actual resit result so the employer/academic can make a decision that actually reflects my ability at that current time?

Unfortunately that is altering your transcript. Which makes you no different to someone who alters theirs to say they got a 1st from Cambridge when they got a lower score from somewhere less prestigious (not that I give a poo about prestige).
If you're really good, you don't need to twist things to prove your worth. I got my IT job a few months after starting my degree. On my CV I put I'm an aspiring degree holder (i.e. ain't got no degree) with lots of programming skills, worked as in IT in UK and abroad (that gap year). There's a guy in my work place who left school at 15, self taught programming over many years and now works at age 50 in an IT job, alongside a load of grads. Degree isn't everything but attitude is.

I could be wrong but I get the feeling from your post that you don't think you're good enough. Which is why you want things altered to make you look better. My thoughts are that if you don't think you're good, nobody else will think you're good either.
Original post by 999tigger
Have to disagree with this as long as you put both marks down then the results speak for themselves. Exams are just how you performed on the day and most exams can be retaken. If you want to follow it through then people shouldnt be allowed to retake anything be that driving test, A levels, professional exams. Just because you had a poor GCSE shouldnt and wont mean you can never improve.

I would agree with you if the OP wanted to explain his scores in a job interview where he could go into a bit more detail about his performance, but not altering your transcript to sex things up.

I think you're missing the point (deliberately??). Nothing wrong with improving one's g grades by taking it again later on or taking a different course. But its not OK to alter/amend what has already been scored on your transcript.

So if you scored a load of D's in your GCSEs - is it OK in your book to change the scores to straight A's when applying for a job?
Unfortunately that is altering your transcript. Which makes you no different to someone who alters theirs to say they got a 1st from Cambridge when they got a lower score from somewhere less prestigious (not that I give a poo about prestige).
If you're really good, you don't need to twist things to prove your worth. I got my IT job a few months after starting my degree. On my CV I put I'm an aspiring degree holder (i.e. ain't got no degree) with lots of programming skills, worked as in IT in UK and abroad (that gap year). There's a guy in my work place who left school at 15, self taught programming over many years and now works at age 50 in an IT job, alongside a load of grads. Degree isn't everything but attitude is.

I could be wrong but I get the feeling from your post that you don't think you're good enough. Which is why you want things altered to make you look better. My thoughts are that if you don't think you're good, nobody else will think you're good either.

Sorry to press you on this, but by definition I would not be altering the actual transcript, prospective employers/academics will see my transcript with the two capped resit grades stating that they were second attempts.

I want to simply ATTACH a note to the transcript, by that I mean a seperate document which states my actual resit grades assuming they'll be high.

Maybe I can just state my actual resit results in a personal statement. It doesn't matter where, a cover note, seperate document or within the body of the personal statement so long as the official transcript is there and it hasn't been tampered with.

And on the point about that I don't feel I'm good enough and that's the reason why I want to "alter" the transcript to make me look better, the opposite is true. On the contrary, what I'm saying is that I understand the two modules that I had to retake a couple of months later to a very high standard now. And I want that to be known to future academics/employers because I feel it's important as it shows I'm now up to the required standard.
Saw students like me recommending some professional and texting them for grade changes,without any trace with the help of this Egyptian hacker samurai,you can talk to him,so that he can help you out on Whatsapp 1 (804) 704-6313
Original post by beth0000
Saw students like me recommending some professional and texting them for grade changes,without any trace with the help of this Egyptian hacker samurai,you can talk to him,so that he can help you out on Whatsapp 1 (804) 704-6313

bro this is thread is from 3 years ago 😭

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending