The Student Room Group

Alevel resits and predicted grades

So I just finished my A-levels and I certain that I’m going to get two D’s in bio and Chem, a C in biology is tops. I had reasons as to why I did really bad but long story short I want to resit my exams next summer as I know I’m capable of getting A’s. However I don’t know how I’ll be able to apply to dentistry universities with these grades. If I get something like CCD and get predicted A’s to apply for next year would unis probably reject me as I’ve previously achieved CCD? Does anyone know what I can do? Please help! Thanks
(edited 10 months ago)
Reply 1
Original post by 16Stars
So I just finished my A-levels and I certain that I’m going to get two D’s in bio and Chem, a C in biology is tops. I did really really bad in my year 12 exams and had lots of gaps in my knowledge and my grades didn’t improve a lot this year. I really want to resit my exams next summer as I know I’m capable of getting A’s. However I don’t know how I’ll be able to apply to dentistry universities with these grades. Does anyone know what I can do? Also I know that not many unis accept retakes with the exception of some. Please help! Thanks

Retake and apply with actual achieved grades in a years time, so starting at uni in 2 years time. It’s a course that’s competitive and there is a relatively high proportion of « mature » students so it shouldn’t be a problem.
Reply 2
Original post by Euapp
Retake and apply with actual achieved grades in a years time, so starting at uni in 2 years time. It’s a course that’s competitive and there is a relatively high proportion of « mature » students so it shouldn’t be a problem.

So I just finished my A-levels and I certain that I’m going to get two D’s in bio and Chem, a C in biology is tops. I had reasons as to why I did really bad but long story short I want to resit my exams next summer as I know I’m capable of getting A’s. However I don’t know how I’ll be able to apply to dentistry universities with these grades. If I get something like CCD and get predicted A’s to apply for next year would unis probably reject me as I’ve previously achieved CCD? Does anyone know what I can do? Please help! Thanks

Err to my knowledge that would be incredibly difficult, and there are lots of things you have to take into consideration -
1. Not many people can go from a CCD to AAA or A*AA, which is the equivalent of jumping 2/3 grades per subject. You'd have to work incredibly hard to do that (which I'm sure you can :smile:)
2. Most dental schools don't allow resits. Universities like Glasgow have a strict no-resit policy (under basically any circumstances) in terms of dental admissions, and most (if not all) will only accept resits if the candidate has extreme considerations (ie a family member death/medical issue) Schools that do allow resits typically will only allow resit applicants if they get a minimum of AAB at your first go, and if you previously hold an offer (as firm choice). So that, realistically speaking, cuts out your chances significantly. The only dental school I'm aware of in the UK that is possible in your scenario is Bristol, but even with that I'd email admissions to find out more details. So unless you are a current offer holder from Cardiff (specifically), and have firmed your place as first choice, which will allow resits and defer your place if you don't meet the grade requirements, I'm not sure how else resits would be considered.
3. Mature students, despite accounting for a high proportion still do have a minimum standard requirements at A level(For a couple of dental schools, there may be one or two exceptions but I cannot confirm this so make sure you do more research). Resits are resits, and even if you apply for mature entry that resit will still count.
4. Postgrad entry, or a conversion course (DHT) is something you can potentially use as an avenue to get into dentistry. I'm a little less clear on post-grad entry, but from what I read before - Some universities will not count your A-levels and only use your graduate degree honors, e.g. King's, but other universities will also have a requirement of a minimum grade at A-level, e.g. For Queen's Belfast, there is a min grade of BBC at first attempt. (I don't actually know if resits count in this matter for all universities, so I would email universities asking if I were you) So if you're applying then I would make sure to do ample research

I'm not sure if you qualify for widening access, but if you do it is worth a shot applying via those programmes and try to get in, because you have reduced grade boundaries. If there was anything else affecting your performance during the exam, which you mentioned above, on any potential special circumstances that you had during that period, you could also try and get grade improvements via those. Again, all of the above advice goes out the window if you qualify for an extreme circumstance that you think justifies why you got these grades. There may be programmes I'm unaware of that may accept this case, so in any event I would still send out emails to all universities offering a dental programme regarding this situation and what can be done.

@drdent
have you got any advice? I'm less clear on mature entry/enhanced entry/grad entry?
(edited 10 months ago)
Reply 3
Ignore anything I said!! @Ionomer is right! I assumed WRONGLY that it would be pretty much like vet med where with the exception of the Scottish schools just about every school accepts retakes, and only certain demand minimum grades for a first attempt. However, this is not the case so you’re just going to have to hope that you’ve done better than you think!
(edited 10 months ago)
Reply 4
Original post by Ionomer
Err to my knowledge that would be incredibly difficult, and there are lots of things you have to take into consideration -
1. Not many people can go from a CCD to AAA or A*AA, which is the equivalent of jumping 2/3 grades per subject. You'd have to work incredibly hard to do that (which I'm sure you can :smile:)
2. Most dental schools don't allow resits. Universities like Glasgow have a strict no-resit policy (under basically any circumstances) in terms of dental admissions, and most (if not all) will only accept resits if the candidate has extreme considerations (ie a family member death/medical issue) Schools that do allow resits typically will only allow resit applicants if they get a minimum of AAB at your first go, and if you previously hold an offer (as firm choice). So that, realistically speaking, cuts out your chances significantly. The only dental school I'm aware of in the UK that is possible in your scenario is Bristol, but even with that I'd email admissions to find out more details. So unless you are a current offer holder from Cardiff (specifically), and have firmed your place as first choice, which will allow resits and defer your place if you don't meet the grade requirements, I'm not sure how else resits would be considered.
3. Mature students, despite accounting for a high proportion still do have a minimum standard requirements at A level(For a couple of dental schools, there may be one or two exceptions but I cannot confirm this so make sure you do more research). Resits are resits, and even if you apply for mature entry that resit will still count.
4. Postgrad entry, or a conversion course (DHT) is something you can potentially use as an avenue to get into dentistry. I'm a little less clear on post-grad entry, but from what I read before - Some universities will not count your A-levels and only use your graduate degree honors, e.g. King's, but other universities will also have a requirement of a minimum grade at A-level, e.g. For Queen's Belfast, there is a min grade of BBC at first attempt. (I don't actually know if resits count in this matter for all universities, so I would email universities asking if I were you) So if you're applying then I would make sure to do ample research

I'm not sure if you qualify for widening access, but if you do it is worth a shot applying via those programmes and try to get in, because you have reduced grade boundaries. If there was anything else affecting your performance during the exam, which you mentioned above, on any potential special circumstances that you had during that period, you could also try and get grade improvements via those. Again, all of the above advice goes out the window if you qualify for an extreme circumstance that you think justifies why you got these grades. There may be programmes I'm unaware of that may accept this case, so in any event I would still send out emails to all universities offering a dental programme regarding this situation and what can be done.

@drdent
have you got any advice? I'm less clear on mature entry/enhanced entry/grad entry?

I see, I’ll think about my options then and do more research into all of the unis. Thanks for all the help!
Reply 5
Original post by Euapp
Ignore anything I said!! @Ionomer is right! I assumed WRONGLY that it would be pretty much like vet med where with the exception of the Scottish schools just about every school accepts retakes, and only certain demand minimum grades for a first attempt. However, this is not the case so you’re just going to have to hope that you’ve done better than you think!

Yeah unfortunately dentistry is very competitive it will be 10x harder to get in compared with medicine :frown:. Thanks for the advice!

Quick Reply

Latest