The Student Room Group

Teach First 2018

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Oenc
Thank you for your assurance! Since then, I resubmitted the CKA and got a confirmation the next day! I am on the TF Program! YAY!

Congratulations! You will be great.
Hii! Would you be able to spare some tips on the CKA Action Plan? I completed mine but the feedback said I should be more specific and re submit it. I don’t understand how much specific they want it and also the SI is just in two weeks so the timeline is so short! I am panicking because they say second chance is the last chance! Thaaanks
Reply 262
Hi, just thought I could be helpful.
I am a teach first 2017 participant just at the end of my first year and if you have any questions please feel free to ask.
Original post by vlb206
I am a teach first 2017 participant just at the end of my first year and if you have any questions please feel free to ask.

Hi there! I have a couple of questions

Generally how long does it take to plan your lessons?

What was your work/life balance like?

Did you move away to do Teach first? ( I live in Birmingham but will be teaching in West London so I'm anxious about the big move!)

Thank you in advance :smile:
Reply 264
Original post by BaffledPenguin
Hi there! I have a couple of questions

Generally how long does it take to plan your lessons?

What was your work/life balance like?

Did you move away to do Teach first? ( I live in Birmingham but will be teaching in West London so I'm anxious about the big move!)

Thank you in advance :smile:

I teach primary in a 3 form entry so we do weekly planning (each of us taking a subject from english, reading, or maths) and usually it takes me about 4 hours or so to do a weekly plan (for english/maths, reading is quicker).

Work/life balance is hell. It is very very very difficult to keep the balance, and my suggestion is to have a night that you save for something you want to do (ie. wednesdays are my night for doing music). I've had a lot of weekends where all I've done is work, and I'm at school 7.30-5.45 every day.

I did to North London and its been great. There's a lot to do and it's a big change.
It depends @ above^

I teach secondary and sixth form science (Biology A level.

I am in at 7:30am and out by about 5 - 5:30pm each day. My average work week has been about 45 - 50 hours which is already too much. I never touch any work on the weekend though (except during exam period when we have way too many papers to mark).

I would say you should never have to work weekends on the reg. If you are, then you need to find ways to become more efficient during the week.

I've just finished up my NQT year and will be leaving teaching to join one of the TF corporate partners, as the pay is absolute peanuts if you want to start a family in London.

Good luck and try to enjoy the next 2 years the best that you can :smile:.
Original post by vlb206

Hello!

Just wondering if you have any tips for the teachfirst assement day- particularly the lesson and what to expect?

Thanks so much
Amara x
Reply 267
Original post by amaraemily
Hello!

Just wondering if you have any tips for the teachfirst assement day- particularly the lesson and what to expect?

Thanks so much
Amara x

For the assessment day I would mostly try to stay relaxed. Have a good example for each of the competencies for the interview. For the group task try to make sure that you talk to people before because it helps in there - I tried to lead as well because that obviously helps. With the lesson you need to make sure you stick to time - do not let it get derailed by behaviour. Also check for understanding - I had them repeat back what I had taught them using the objects I had brought. Make it interactive and not just them doing a sheet. Ask questions.
Reply 268
Also a 2017 Participant if anyone would like a Secondary English in the West Mids perspective on the first year :smile:
Just a warning for prospective applicants, Teach First takes on students without actually having jobs for them, but does not warn about this. They then try to find schools willing to take people on. Unfortunately, they do not always find enough places, and so some participants will have their places withdrawn, especially for subjects in which there is less of a teacher shortage, such as primary. My experience was of having my place to teach primary starting in September 2018 withdrawn TWO DAYS before I was due to begin full-time training. I was offered the option to switch to secondary maths or leave the programme. Teach First refused to accept any responsibility for this situation, despite me having no opportunity to find a placement myself Teach First do all the work of finding placements and matching participants with schools themselves, but they still waited until two days before I was due to start to tell me that there was a problem.
Original post by Mike343784
Just a warning for prospective applicants, Teach First takes on students without actually having jobs for them, but does not warn about this. They then try to find schools willing to take people on. Unfortunately, they do not always find enough places, and so some participants will have their places withdrawn, especially for subjects in which there is less of a teacher shortage, such as primary. My experience was of having my place to teach primary starting in September 2018 withdrawn TWO DAYS before I was due to begin full-time training. I was offered the option to switch to secondary maths or leave the programme. Teach First refused to accept any responsibility for this situation, despite me having no opportunity to find a placement myself Teach First do all the work of finding placements and matching participants with schools themselves, but they still waited until two days before I was due to start to tell me that there was a problem.

That's terrible. Thanks for sharing.
Hey, I'm going to unsticky this thread, as no-one has posted in it in a while.

Congrats to everyone who got a training place this year!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending