The Student Room Group

Johanna Konta gets angry with journalist after losing in the Aegon Classic

British number one Johanna Konta has been accused of being 'stroppy' and 'angry' and immature in a press conference when her usual honest and authentic responses were called into question . The incident happened at the fourth day of the Birmingham Classic . . When you have a bit of the sporting Sydneysider in you, it is perhaps even more understandable. To cut a long story slightly shorter, Konta, born in Australia but more at home in Blighty, was asked a few questions by a bloke from the Daily Mirror about her defeat, but her responses were fair in response to what she was being asked. Amusing yes, but also authentic and impassioned Perhaps a touch pointed and spiky, but what do you expect? She was speaking after losing a match. She is hardly going to be high fiving a bunch of frazzled tabloid hacks. One reporter claimed her conduct was a "bit of a worry before the intensity of Wimbledon", when one would just disagree wholeheartedly by suggesting her response was perfectly acceptable before the intensity of Wimbledon. She was playing only a few days after losing in three sets to Donna Vekic, a promising youngster on the rise in the final of Nottingham, which suggests she is hardly needing to grope for form ahead of Wimbledon. Konta has 300 wins behind her, and is already up to world number seven after conquering Sydney and Miami this year. Konta should welcome the attention, but then again the press should also be happy that she is not monotone. She is a 26-year-old woman who clearly has her own views on the business she is in.
Full exchange below
" Nursey Where does this leave your Wimbledon preparations now? Do you feel that this is a significant blow, another defeat in a short space of time? Or do you feel fairly confident of going to Eastbourne.
Konta: "Another defeat in a short space of time? I think I did OK, I made finals last week. [laughs] Cheers for the positivity.
Nursey: "Sorry. It's a fact though, isn't it...
Konta: "What's the fact?
Nursey: "After losing Sunday in slightly surprising circumstances to the world No. 70, you've gone out here to an unseeded player in a short space of time.
Konta: "
Nursey: "Is that a big blow to your Wimbledon preparations?
Konta: "Is it a big blow for you?
Nursey: "No, I like to see the British players do well so I'm not trying to be awkward.
Konta: "I think you're doing a pretty good job of that. Point being that I think I actually play two good matches here.
"I played a very good first round against someone who made semis last week. I think I played a great match last week. I played five great matches. I lost to a player who played better than me on the day."Me losing second round, against a very good player on this surface, is by no means a blow. It is part of the game. Just because I am No.7 in the world, it doesn't mean I am entitled to win every match."My job is to go out there and do the best that I can."
When a professional player acts as if they don’t care, that is the time to worry. The journalist had every right to ask Konta his questions, but the player’s response was also fair given the circumstances. It has been established for a long time that the press in this country like to build up their heroes to knock them down. If you get as far as Konta has so far in her sport, you have to accept the territory that comes with it when you lose. You aren't going to get it your way all the time, but learning to play the game is part of a wider game.
Konta is clearly a serious contender to become the first British woman to win Wimbledon since Virginia Wade in 1977 - she is 10-1 for the top prize. That immediately marks her out as a bit special in these parts. When she plays, she is going to be surrounded by a festering media searching for a decent line. Praise and criticism are natural bedfellows in sport, as Andy Murray would point out after his demise in the first round of Queen's to Jordan Thompson earlier this week.If you want to see what losing your cool in a press conference is really like, check out victoria' Azarenka's 2012 Rogers cup press conference Victoria azarenka You're a w*****t! rant at press conference. Warning very strong language https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i_NQqnc_ue0 and Lucie safarova's Profanity-Laden Tirade Against Media (FULL AUDIO) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wROe2dzJDq they make Konta’s feel about as offensive as spending a day snaffling strawberries and cream on Henman Hill.
(edited 6 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending