The Student Room Group

Changing A-Levels 1 year in

Hi, I'm currently doing A-levels: Biology, Psychology and Graphic Communications. I was super unsure about what I wanted to do and so just picked a range of A-Levels that differed immensely, however now, a year into my course, I've had a complete change of heart and may want to study English Literature, Fine Art and Graphic Communications (which could change to incorporate drama or film studies) (also I previously chose this but then switched last minute with my college), the reason why I had originally decided on Biology and Psychology was because I thought I needed to contribute to the world in some ethical way like being a nurse or a social worker, and I'm a pretty well adjusted and achieved all around good enough GCSE's to get into more academic and scientific subjects, but my true passion lies in the creative arts. On my last test of the year, I achieved a D in Biology (an all time low for me) and a D in Psychology (I'd gotten this grade before) and an A- in Graphics ( I always get a B or A), showing a great disparity. Looking at UCAS kind of brought this on as I realised I would want to be either involved in a special effects, graphic design or freelance area of the creative industry or a journalist (on what, I'm not sure yet as I'm very much involved with politics and all sorts of other subjects, though to do politics I'd probably have to do a politics a-level, but don't get me wrong I'd love to write about fashion or art or literature) which, especially in the case of a journalist course, wouldn't allow people who hadn't done English Lit./Lang. A-Level to join the course, and if I want to get into a good Art Uni I suspect I'd be higher on the list with two a-levels in art. Honestly I'm just really all over the place about what I want to choose, but as you've probably noticed, I want to carry on with Graphic Comms. which, I don't know if that's possible with my college, or if I'd have to change all of my subjects, which, as long as I'm doing some sort of art, I'd be fine with but it's not exactly ideal. My college had turned me down when I wanted to switch out Psychology, which is understandable because it'd be a 3rd year doing one a-level but I don't know what they'll say about 2 a-levels. I also don't know if changing A-Levels and doing 3 years would hurt my eligibility for Universities as, to be honest the switch isn't because of my grades, because although I mentioned above how low they are, this isn't due to lack of ability as my professors have mentioned but more so due to my lack of passion and time put in. Anyway if anyone's been in a similar situation I'd really appreciate some advice or if you know the perspective of the Universities on this issue, plus anything I might not have thought of. Thanks a bunch :smile:
Hi @helloyesilizzie,

It sounds like you've been thinking about this a lot and are starting to worry, but the fact that you know you want to make changes to your studies is a great start.

I'm unsure about changing your A-Levels and the logistics of this, as it is most likely dependent on your college. But after reading about your interest in art, I would suggest you take a look at Foundation Courses for after your A Levels. I did an Art and Design Foundation diploma after my A-Levels for one year, in which I had the opportunity to have a go at different areas of art and design, such as fine art, graphics, fashion and textiles, etc, then chose a final area for my final major project. For me I chose Fashion and Textiles.

Although I did study fine art for A Level, I was unsure about what I wanted to study at university, and the foundation was a good all round experience to try different areas of art and design that I'd never had the opportunity to do before.

Maybe you could take a look at some foundation diplomas your college may offer, but a lot of universities offer them too.

Hope this helps and reassures you that you can still change your mind after A Levels!
Good luck,
Emily Student Ambassador at BCU
Original post by helloyesilizzie
Hi, I'm currently doing A-levels: Biology, Psychology and Graphic Communications. I was super unsure about what I wanted to do and so just picked a range of A-Levels that differed immensely, however now, a year into my course, I've had a complete change of heart and may want to study English Literature, Fine Art and Graphic Communications (which could change to incorporate drama or film studies) (also I previously chose this but then switched last minute with my college), the reason why I had originally decided on Biology and Psychology was because I thought I needed to contribute to the world in some ethical way like being a nurse or a social worker, and I'm a pretty well adjusted and achieved all around good enough GCSE's to get into more academic and scientific subjects, but my true passion lies in the creative arts. On my last test of the year, I achieved a D in Biology (an all time low for me) and a D in Psychology (I'd gotten this grade before) and an A- in Graphics ( I always get a B or A), showing a great disparity. Looking at UCAS kind of brought this on as I realised I would want to be either involved in a special effects, graphic design or freelance area of the creative industry or a journalist (on what, I'm not sure yet as I'm very much involved with politics and all sorts of other subjects, though to do politics I'd probably have to do a politics a-level, but don't get me wrong I'd love to write about fashion or art or literature) which, especially in the case of a journalist course, wouldn't allow people who hadn't done English Lit./Lang. A-Level to join the course, and if I want to get into a good Art Uni I suspect I'd be higher on the list with two a-levels in art. Honestly I'm just really all over the place about what I want to choose, but as you've probably noticed, I want to carry on with Graphic Comms. which, I don't know if that's possible with my college, or if I'd have to change all of my subjects, which, as long as I'm doing some sort of art, I'd be fine with but it's not exactly ideal. My college had turned me down when I wanted to switch out Psychology, which is understandable because it'd be a 3rd year doing one a-level but I don't know what they'll say about 2 a-levels. I also don't know if changing A-Levels and doing 3 years would hurt my eligibility for Universities as, to be honest the switch isn't because of my grades, because although I mentioned above how low they are, this isn't due to lack of ability as my professors have mentioned but more so due to my lack of passion and time put in. Anyway if anyone's been in a similar situation I'd really appreciate some advice or if you know the perspective of the Universities on this issue, plus anything I might not have thought of. Thanks a bunch :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest