The Student Room Group

Why do British ppl say "fings" instead of "things"

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
It's called th-fronting and it's a part of a lot of dialects in English - British ones, of course, but also in Newfoundland, Liberia and Hong Kong. Wikipedia's got an article about it: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Th-fronting
Only some chavs do this, most Brits pronounce "th" :s-smilie:
This is called th-fronting, and it appears in some dialects, most notably Cockney and Cockney-influenced speech. It occurs when the voiced or voiceless dental fricative, i.e. [ð] or [θ], becomes labialised; the consequent phoneme is [v] or [f] (voiced or voiceless labiodental fricatives). The process is similar to how children who are learning to speak realise the dental fricatives as labiodental fricatives, and so I'd be inclined to say that it occurs simply because it is physically easier to pronounce.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Kraggor
Batfink was cool so therefore saying fink is cool :h:

Spoiler

Batman is cooler :unimpressed:

Spoiler

I sometimes say this, unless I'm going for a job interview. I suppose that makes me a "low class chav".
i dont say that.... in my old school all the kids spoke like this:

wot do u fink blad. Wot u looking at ... nufink. I was aksing someone fis question innit

oh it was so annoying see I am from the Yorkshire so it was very confuzzling lol
Original post by xobeauty
And finks instead of thinks ??

Multicultural London English

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 27
And finks instead of thinks ??

It's a gang ting
Not trying to generalise, but a lot of people who appear on the Jeremy Kyle Show speak like that. Again, not trying to generalise or be too stereotypical, but some poorly educated people from deprived backgrounds speak like this [ apparently].
Original post by Batgirl98
Batman is cooler :unimpressed:

Spoiler

Who's batman? :hmmmm:

There's Batfink, Batboy, Manbat, Batwing... but I've never heard of a bat-man? Is it a baseball player??

Spoiler

Reply 30
xxx

people
Original post by Kraggor
Who's batman? :hmmmm:

There's Batfink, Batboy, Manbat, Batwing... but I've never heard of a bat-man? Is it a baseball player??

Spoiler

Cheeky :slap:
Regional accents I suppose? I know not everyone pronounces it the same way
Because fings ain't wot they used t'be.
No-one does it where I live
Original post by markova21
Not trying to generalise, but a lot of people who appear on the Jeremy Kyle Show speak like that. Again, not trying to generalise or be too stereotypical, but some poorly educated people from deprived backgrounds speak like this [ apparently].

I think it's more of an accent thing in certain parts of London (and maybe other areas of the south). Just a regional dialect. I don't hear many people up north speak like this, but then there are other dialects and speech patterns up here.
it's called an accent.
I find it even more annoying when people pronounce the letter h as hay-ch
Original post by Batgirl98
Cheeky :slap:

We are the cheeky girls, you are the cheeky boys :biggrin:
Original post by Kraggor
We are the cheeky girls, you are the cheeky boys :biggrin:

What?? :s-smilie:

Spoiler

Quick Reply

Latest