The Student Room Group

Has anyone done a Primary teaching degree?

Has anyone finished this degree or doing it now!?

Looking into applying for this for 2018, wondered what the course was like? Essays, presentations etc

Thanks in advance :smile:
Original post by Stephyw24
Has anyone finished this degree or doing it now!?

Looking into applying for this for 2018, wondered what the course was like? Essays, presentations etc

Thanks in advance :smile:

I've just finished my first year of a primary education degree (BEd) so have 2 more years to go.

Course is rewarding, in a sense as you are helping shape children's lives - even from your first placement. It is quite full on as you have all sorts of work to do from lectures, seminars, workshops and placements. I had 7 assignments and a presentation which counted to my final score for the first year. First year only counts as 10% of your degree though so there's not too much pressure so you can get used to university life. As long as you can write properly, which they kind of tell you how to, first year should be fine. That wasn't the only presentation I had to do this year but the only one that was graded.

Regarding placements, different universities do things differently. My first 2 placements (2 weeks and 1 week) were to get you used to working in a primary school setting and the 3rd placement (4 weeks) was starting to build up your teaching (you do teach in the other 2 placements but not as much) and gain evidence to meeting the teachers' standards which you need to gain QTS. This isn't the only time I have spent in schools though this year and in fact I'm going back in to one tomorrow!

You have to stay professional as a teacher though and they were very quick to tell us this. We was also advised to keep a professional twitter profile which I can send you a link to if you would like. It shows some of the lessons I've taught as well as a few things from our first year seminars/lectures.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending