The Student Room Group

childhood and early years studies?

I’ve been offered a place for this at Northumbria University. I applied for child nursing but after the interview they offered me this instead. Is this something I should consider? Can i progress onto something in the medical field with this degree?
Original post by abby6
I’ve been offered a place for this at Northumbria University. I applied for child nursing but after the interview they offered me this instead. Is this something I should consider? Can i progress onto something in the medical field with this degree?

Hi @abby6

I study Education Studies at BCU and work closely with Early Childhood Studies students. I don't believe anyone on that course plans to enter the medical field. The majority will be working in schools or as Speech and Language Therapists. I think if you wanted to get into nursing, you would have to get a nursing degree.

I have known Midwifery students become Nurses after doing an extra year of training. I believe they are called conversion courses but again your initial degree would have to be within the medical field.
It might be worth exploring other universities with lower entry requirements or other routes to becoming a Nurse.

Hope this helps!

Good luck 😊

Anastasia,
BCU Student Rep.
I was on child nursing degree year 1 at Birmingham City University (coming to the end of the year) and I am looking at transferring to early childhood studies. The credits from my 1st year are not transferable and the jobs with early childhood studies are more for working with ages 0-5 years in a school environment. I’d look at re applying for next year for child nursing if this where you passion is. Or apply elsewhere or look at potentially nursing associate?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending