The Student Room Group

Can i be a secondary teacher with these qualifications?

Hi, I am in my 3rd of my primary education degree while i do like the degree and the teaching aspect I’m wondering if i did a master in science education if i could be a science secondary teacher or would i have to do a PGCE in secondary science after the primary education degree with QTs and then be able to become a secondary teacher

Edit:The degree does come with QTS
(edited 4 months ago)
Reply 1
Does your current degree come with QTS? I assume it does. So you wouldn’t need to do an additional PGCE if so. Once you have QTS you can teach in any school.
A secondary school’s main concern would be the science qualifications you possess. It sounds like the master’s degree would help a lot. But what other science qualifications (e.g. A Levels) do you have?
Reply 2
Original post by Angelil
Does your current degree come with QTS? I assume it does. So you wouldn’t need to do an additional PGCE if so. Once you have QTS you can teach in any school.
A secondary school’s main concern would be the science qualifications you possess. It sounds like the master’s degree would help a lot. But what other science qualifications (e.g. A Levels) do you have?

Hi there yes the degree does come with QTS. I have also done a btec in applied science.Ok thank you my main concern was if i has to do a secondary PGCE after doing a master is science education. Thank you
Original post by Emma9272
Hi, I am in my 3rd of my primary education degree while i do like the degree and the teaching aspect I’m wondering if i did a master in science education if i could be a science secondary teacher or would i have to do a PGCE after the primary education degree and then become one.

Edit:The degree does come with QTS

Hello @Emma9272

Once you have QTS, you are able to teach any KS or Phase, and are not able to do another teacher training course. However, your experience will be in a Primary setting and as such, in interviews for teaching roles, which you'll begin to apply for around Easter time, you won't have any experience of working with KS3 or KS4 students. Therefore, speak with your degree provider to see if you're able to do some teaching practice placements in a middle school or even an alt-education school, that will give you some secondary experience. You would also need to be aware of the science curriculum at KS3/4 levels and the assessment criteria related to that.

All the best, Jane

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending