The Student Room Group

Concerns about teaching

Hi,

I’ve always really struggled with maths, & I want to do Primary Teaching, like i genuinely don’t know fractions, decimals or anything like that and got my Nat 5/GSCE maths C purely because there wasn’t an exam due to covid.

Science, History, English - I can do all that, but maths always gets me down, I guess i’m questioning was there anyone else while as a student was terrible at maths who has became a successful primary teacher or post grad student? Like i’d hate to be the reason why children aren’t reaching their targets or anything like that.

I’ve currently never done a placement, as I’m doing an undergrad in History right now & planning to do a post grad in Primary Education. I’ve worked a job for the past two years that has involved me working with nursery children & after school care, i love it but It doesn’t really involve teaching as it’s more focused on providing children with a safe space to play while parents are working. So another question I have is how do you know if teaching is for you or if you’d make a good teacher?

I also want to know the work/life balance, there is so much talk on things like tiktok speaking of all these teachers who were unhappy and have quit their jobs, I’ve wanted to be a teacher since I was eleven so the past 8 years i’ve based my subject choices at school based on teaching but all these people speaking about how toxic schools are is making me doubt myself. Is it as detrimental as people make it out to be? I recognise that there is alot of unpaid work like lesson planning, marking but is it true you essentially have no life?
Reply 1
Not going to lie.

As someone with no teaching experience, yes you will likely find the sche of a PGCE and teaching very challenging.

I understand your maths concern. I also struggled horribly with maths. I am currently teaching year 6 primary and it's absolutely fine. You simply go through the maths content before each lesson to make sure you know the steps and answers. You only have to be be one step ahead of the kids!

I recommend just focusing on getting your bachelor's degree for now. And if your schedule allows it maybe getting some TA work in primary schools.

If you're adventurous, I also strongly recommend in doing some ESL teaching abroad after your graduate. It's a great way to get your foot in the door of teaching while earning. I strongly recommend the company EF. They are very good at training new hires who have no experience

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending