The Student Room Group

University Interviews!

Hello TSR!

As people start receiving university offers, some will also be booking interview slots.

Here are some tips I have learned over the years that have helped me get through interviews. I recently attended an interview for a PGCE and was offered the place, so hopefully, my tips can help you!

1. Make sure you have a good understanding of the role and what your motivations for doing the role are. For example, if you are applying for BA (Hons) Primary Education with QTS, then a good understanding of what a teacher does is crucial. You will almost definitely be asked… “Why teaching?” or “Why do you want to be a teacher?”. So make sure you have an answer prepared.

2. The next step is to think about what experience you have. You might not have much work experience yet, especially if you are coming straight from college/sixth form. When interviewers ask about experience, they’re usually trying to establish what sort of skills you have. Skills can be gained from many different aspects of life, such as being part of a sports team or doing Duke of Edinburgh at school. All sorts of skills can be attached to these experiences, such as teamwork, leadership, communication, resilience, etc.

3. Finally, wear something you are comfortable in. Yes, it is always good to wear something smart, but that doesn’t mean you have to wear an uncomfortable suit! Look at your teachers or other professionals in your life and observe what kind of clothing they wear. The last thing you want on your mind during your interview is your outfit. If your interview is over MS Teams, then think about what is in your background too. If they can see an untidy room, it won’t give a good impression.

If you have any questions for me regarding interviews, uni, PGCEs or anything else, please ask away!

Good luck😊

Anastasia,
BCU Student Rep.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending