The Student Room Group

PGCE with young children

I’ve had offers to undertake my PGCE on both part time and full time courses. I am currently on maternity leave with my 9 month old, and I also have a 3 year old that goes to nursery 3 days a week. I’m so unsure which route to take - can anyone share their experiences studying with young children, full or part time?

I am fully aware how demanding the course is, and worry that I will put everything into it, and not have anything left mentally or physically to give my own children if I go FT. I hate the thought of missing out on time with them whilst they’re so young as time is something I’ll never get back. Equally, I have been advised by one of the FT courses I applied to that a PT course will not allow me to immerse myself into school life, and I’ll find it difficult building relationships.

HELP - any experiences shared would be great.
Original post by SjfoxPGCE
I’ve had offers to undertake my PGCE on both part time and full time courses. I am currently on maternity leave with my 9 month old, and I also have a 3 year old that goes to nursery 3 days a week. I’m so unsure which route to take - can anyone share their experiences studying with young children, full or part time?

I am fully aware how demanding the course is, and worry that I will put everything into it, and not have anything left mentally or physically to give my own children if I go FT. I hate the thought of missing out on time with them whilst they’re so young as time is something I’ll never get back. Equally, I have been advised by one of the FT courses I applied to that a PT course will not allow me to immerse myself into school life, and I’ll find it difficult building relationships.

I've moved your thread to a more relevant forum to help you get replies :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by normaw
I've moved your thread to a more relevant forum to help you get replies :smile:

Thank you!! ☺️
Original post by SjfoxPGCE

Hi,

A friend of mine did her course part time and has been a successful teacher for several years now. She had a young family and felt she needed to do it that way, but she enjoyed the experience, and got as much out of it as anyone doing full time.

You don't want to go full time and then feel too drained to enjoy the training or your family but at the same time, you may want to have one year and then be earning. Don't feel that part time is inferior though.

Best wishes,
Aly

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending