The Student Room Group

Costume Design Course at AUB or LCF

Can anyone currently studying Costume Design at AUB or LCF help please? I need your feedback about what it's like to study here. Both look great BUT I'm worried about the low contact hours 22% at LCF- do tutors really get involved and help if you only see them for so little time (what do we pay £9,250 for?). At AUB the collaborative work with other Art students looks great but what opportunities do you have for work experience and contact with people within the industry? Is it more difficult studying down in sleepy Dorset and not being in a city like London or Edinburgh? Please help, need to make a decision quickly. Thanks
UAL is quite well known as a name brand, and has many industry links for enterprising students to arrange placement so on. Inevitably at university contact hours are significantly lower than in the past - the expectation is that students will be increasingly independent in their learning, and where necessary seek out additional contact during e.g. office hours or similar in a polite and appropriate way. The number of contact hours doesn't really mean nearly as much as how well you use those contact hours - getting feedback from tutors, engaging with the academic critical analysis of the subject area broadly, etc.

Bournemouth is, in theory, accessible to London - it's a direct train journey of ~2 hours, or maybe a shade under. But unless you have a compelling reason to go there (such as family/work/housing commitments etc) it's hard to recommend over...most other places, honestly. My sister did her foundation at the institution which turned into AUB and was...not impressed, particularly. It was somewhere she chose out of necessity, rather than desire.
Original post by artful_lounger
UAL is quite well known as a name brand, and has many industry links for enterprising students to arrange placement so on. Inevitably at university contact hours are significantly lower than in the past - the expectation is that students will be increasingly independent in their learning, and where necessary seek out additional contact during e.g. office hours or similar in a polite and appropriate way. The number of contact hours doesn't really mean nearly as much as how well you use those contact hours - getting feedback from tutors, engaging with the academic critical analysis of the subject area broadly, etc.

i've heard that before and broadly agree with it, the reason im concerned is 1. i've been hearing alot of worrying stuff on social media about uninterested tutors (a friend of mine that went there a while ago said that some of her tutors considered the students an annoying distraction from their other jobs and would sometimes cancel classes in favour of their other work) with no ways of getting in contact outside of contact hours and 2. there are technical skills with costume design that cannot be learned independently, the second and final year is 17 and 12 percent contact hours respectively which works out to something like 6 and 3 a week. it doesn't seem like enough time to teach 30 students vital practical or design skills.
Original post by Anyone know?
i've heard that before and broadly agree with it, the reason im concerned is 1. i've been hearing alot of worrying stuff on social media about uninterested tutors (a friend of mine that went there a while ago said that some of her tutors considered the students an annoying distraction from their other jobs and would sometimes cancel classes in favour of their other work) with no ways of getting in contact outside of contact hours and 2. there are technical skills with costume design that cannot be learned independently, the second and final year is 17 and 12 percent contact hours respectively which works out to something like 6 and 3 a week. it doesn't seem like enough time to teach 30 students vital practical or design skills.

Unfortunately, this isn't an issue with the UAL only - pretty much all visual arts courses suffer from, to varying extents, the same problems. There are going to be *****y tutors no matter where you go unfortunately. However, there will also be excellent ones who make a great deal of time available for their students and are actively invested in seeing them succeed. But due to the practical and project oriented nature of these courses, it's a sad inevitability (my sister had similar issues on her illustration course with some tutors)
Original post by artful_lounger
Unfortunately, this isn't an issue with the UAL only - pretty much all visual arts courses suffer from, to varying extents, the same problems. There are going to be *****y tutors no matter where you go unfortunately. However, there will also be excellent ones who make a great deal of time available for their students and are actively invested in seeing them succeed. But due to the practical and project oriented nature of these courses, it's a sad inevitability (my sister had similar issues on her illustration course with some tutors)

again true, although we have maybe one or two different tutors for LCF from what i can see, if one of them's crap then thats 50 percent of a already small amount of contact hours down the drain. (by comparison Bournemouth has 70 percent contact so at least there's more leeway if one of theirs sucks.)

what was it that your sister didn't like about Bournemouth? i've been seeing almost nothing but glowing praise for AUB (my apprehensions are mostly that the curriculum seems less ambitious than LCF and less prestigious industry connections) so id be interested to hear the other side.
(edited 6 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest