The Student Room Group

chemistry help please

how many grams of calcium phosphate can be produced from 5.00 grams of calcium hydroxide according to the following equation?

Ca(OH) + H3PO4 > H2O + Ca3(PO4)2

Scroll to see replies

Original post by J_riley18
how many grams of calcium phosphate can be produced from 5.00 grams of calcium hydroxide according to the following equation?

Ca(OH) + H3PO4 > H2O + Ca3(PO4)2

What's the stoichiometry - the ratio of moles which react with one another.
Reply 2
Original post by Reality Check
What's the stoichiometry - the ratio of moles which react with one another.

yes this Intro of chemistry
^^^ what Plantagenet said
Reply 4
1. work out the moles of calcium hydroxide= mass/molecular mass
2. ratio of hydroxide to calcium phosphate 1:1, so moles of phosphate is same as ans 1.
3. rearrange the equation in (1.) moles x molecular mass= mass of phosphate in grams.
Original post by Plantagenet Crown
Divide 5 g by Ca(OH)2's molar mass to work out the moles of Ca(OH)2. As the stoichiometry of the reaction shows that 1 mol of Ca(OH)2 produces 1 mol of Ca3(PO4)2, you multiply the number of mols you worked out in the first part by Ca3(PO4)2's molar mass to get the answer.

OP has not provided a balanced equation, or even one with the correct forulae.
Come on folks balance the equation first.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by TeachChemistry

Yeah, I just saw another thread he made and now I think he/she is a troll.
Reply 8
I am not a troll
Reply 9

could you show me how to solve this problem
could you show me how to solve this problem

Tell me how old you are so I know your level of study. I will then talk you through it and hopefully get you to understand it.
Reply 11
Tell me how old you are so I know your level of study. I will then talk you through it and hopefully get you to understand it.

I am 19 I'm a freshman in college this is the introduction of chemistry class
I am 19 I'm a freshman in college this is the introduction of chemistry class

Can you correct the formula of calcium hydroxide in your OP and balance the equation? In the UK a 15 or 16 year old should be able to do this so I am surprised if you can not.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 13
Can you correct the formula of calcium hydroxide in your OP and balance the equation? In the UK a 15 or 16 year old should be able to do this so I am surprised if you can not.

Is this correct 3Ca(OH)2+ 2H3PO4= H20+Ca3(PO4)2 +6H20 I haven't had chemistry since 9 grade I forgot a lot
Is this correct 3Ca(OH)2+ 2H3PO4= H20+Ca3(PO4)2 +6H20 I haven't had chemistry since 9 grade I forgot a lot

You've made one small error but are otherwise correct. Look again and try to spot it.
Reply 15
You've made one small error but are otherwise correct. Look again and try to spot it.

I had two H20 in the equation and I needed one. I see it now but does that answer my original question above? Still need help
I had two H20 in the equation and I needed one. I see it now but does that answer my original question above? Still need help

According to your now balanced equation, how many moles of calcium hydroxide reactant are needed to make one mole of calcium phosphate? And do you know the equation linking moles, mass and relative formula mass?
Reply 17
According to your now balanced equation, how many moles of calcium hydroxide reactant are needed to make one mole of calcium phosphate? And do you know the equation linking moles, mass and relative formula mass?

Now I'm getting confuse it the molar mass of calcium phosphate 87 I don't know what to do next
Now I'm getting confuse it the molar mass of calcium phosphate 87 I don't know what to do next

Firstly work out the relative formula mass of calcium hydroxide. This contains one calcium, two oxygens and two hydrogens. Work this out and make sure you understand where the znumbers came from. Post your answer to this bit.
Reply 19
Firstly work out the relative formula mass of calcium hydroxide. This contains one calcium, two oxygens and two hydrogens. Work this out and make sure you understand where the znumbers came from. Post your answer to this bit.

Okay is 74.093 right?

Quick Reply

Latest