5 Things To Do In OxfordWatch
1. Go location spotting - Oxford has served as the backdrop to loads of huge TV shows, films and books. Find Lyra’s bench from the His Dark Materials trilogy, the Great Hall from Harry Potter or have a pint in Inspector Morse’s favourite pubs. Tom Cruise and Benedict Cumberbatch have filmed in Oxford recently, so keep an eye out for famous faces!
2. Experience theatre as you’ve never seen it before - Creation Theatre adds a bit of magic to theatre in Oxford. They put on unusual performances in unusual places - they’ve done Hamlet in the BMW factory, Alice in Wonderland in University Parks, and their most recent Shakespeare took the form of a treasure hunt round Oxford.
3. Picnic in plant paradise - Brookes students get free entry to the Botanical Gardens. Take a picnic, settle down and watch people falling off punts.
4. May Morning - only coming round once a year, May Morning is uniquely Oxford and uniquely bizarre. Join thousands of people on 1 May as the sun rises in the streets of Oxford, watch a choir sing from the rooftops to celebrate May beginning, then head off for breakfast (everywhere either stays open all night or opens early). Whether you’re getting up early for a walk into town or stopping after being out all night, it’s an unforgettable experience that people come to be part of from around the world.
5. Grab a Ben’s Cookie - pretty simple, but pretty great. Ben’s Cookies - now a worldwide chain with shops in London, Bangkok, Seoul, New York, Singapore and Tokyo (plus more!) started off in Oxford’s Covered Market, and still bakes the best cookies around.
At Oxford Brookes, you’re not just part of a university, you’re part of this amazing city!