The Student Room Group

What would you class as fat/ over weight?

I got told I'm curvy/big because I'm a size 8 dress and top and 12 bottoms, I generally don't think jeans are made for big bums 😂.My mum always says how my sister is skinny and when she works out she said she doesn't need to, but when I say I'm gonna workout she says nothing, sometimes I ask her if I'm big but I can tell she's lying. Whenever there's a size 14 or 16 clothing laying around the house, she asks if it's mine even though me and my sister wear the same size clothes, I'm just shorter.

When I order things online and they don't pass my hips, in my head it confirms what my mum may think. It's not just her I just feel like I'm going through this stage where I'm unsure if anyone/ I can accept my body.

Need some advice..
Reply 1
For guys, above 20% is considered overweight
For girls, above 30%

Though overweight is relative
Anything over a BMI of 25 is classed as overweight as a rough guideline. For me personally, I reached the slightly chubby 'could stand to lose some weight' look when I reached 9 stone at 5 ft 6 (a BMI of 21). That would look skinny on some people of my height so really it's personal. You didn't say how tall you were so working off a UK average of 5 ft 4, being over 145 lbs or 10 st 4 at that height would be overweight.

And I agree that jeans are just not made to be worn by people who aren't models! I have large ('strong' as I call them) thighs but slim calves and no bum, hips and a small waist. Nothing fits!
Ignore BMI and weight, focusing instead on body fat percentage. That's what really matters in the grand scheme of things. For women, up to 30% body fat is "acceptable", beyond which one is simply overweight.
I have a high BMI however I'm quite thin, could lose a bit of weight but not much to shift. I'm an 8/10 on top and 10/12 on bottom similar to you. Don't focus on BMI

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by fxlloutboyy
I have a high BMI however I'm quite thin, could lose a bit of weight but not much to shift. I'm an 8/10 on top and 10/12 on bottom similar to you. Don't focus on BMI

Posted from TSR Mobile

Couldn't have put it better myself, BMI does not take many factors into common. I don't go by BMI.. apparently according to that I'm obese... lol I can assure you I'm not
Honestly it just all depends on your body shape. I look good in jeans cause I've got a nice bum and thighs but they have to be high-waisted otherwise they're just not flattering. It sounds like you just have wide hips, that's all, it's perfectly possible to have wide hips and a tiny waist. I think generally basing whether you're fat/not fat based on clothes sizes is pointless anyway because they vary so much.
Reply 7
Original post by PollyParrot23
Anything over a BMI of 25 is classed as overweight as a rough guideline. For me personally, I reached the slightly chubby 'could stand to lose some weight' look when I reached 9 stone at 5 ft 6 (a BMI of 21). That would look skinny on some people of my height so really it's personal. You didn't say how tall you were so working off a UK average of 5 ft 4, being over 145 lbs or 10 st 4 at that height would be overweight.

And I agree that jeans are just not made to be worn by people who aren't models! I have large ('strong' as I call them) thighs but slim calves and no bum, hips and a small waist. Nothing fits!

I'm 5ft6 aswell , I don't know how much I weigh but I think I've got more body fat. I have muscle underneath but I'm struggling to burn fat.

Original post by bones-mccoy
Honestly it just all depends on your body shape. I look good in jeans cause I've got a nice bum and thighs but they have to be high-waisted otherwise they're just not flattering. It sounds like you just have wide hips, that's all, it's perfectly possible to have wide hips and a tiny waist. I think generally basing whether you're fat/not fat based on clothes sizes is pointless anyway because they vary so much.

That sounds exactly like me tbh I think my hips have become wider but the problem is I've put on weight around my waist so my waist is not that obvious.

Quick Reply

Latest