The Student Room Group
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

How to dress in Durham?

Is it worth bringing any summer-y clothes to Durham? Or is it too cold in Michaelmas? (Silly question, I know.) I'm from the South was looking at annual weather charts to try and figure out what to bring in terms of clothes. It looks as if Durham only gets slightly warmer in March. Obviously, I am trying to pack lightly because I'm going to have to fit all of my possessions into a car, so I am not sure whether foregoing any summer clothes in favour of warmer jumpers and dresses is the best option. I'm not sure how much it rains either. Should I elect for waterproof jackets over woolly coats? Any advice is welcome!
Original post by studentin11
Is it worth bringing any summer-y clothes to Durham? Or is it too cold in Michaelmas? (Silly question, I know.) I'm from the South was looking at annual weather charts to try and figure out what to bring in terms of clothes. It looks as if Durham only gets slightly warmer in March. Obviously, I am trying to pack lightly because I'm going to have to fit all of my possessions into a car, so I am not sure whether foregoing any summer clothes in favour of warmer jumpers and dresses is the best option. I'm not sure how much it rains either. Should I elect for waterproof jackets over woolly coats? Any advice is welcome!

Bringing summer clothes is pointless, bring warmer clothes (but if you're going clubbing, people don't wear coats when they go clubbing in the north), bring some more formal dresses for wearing indoors for formals :smile: it doesn't rain too much but it's often quite windy
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
Reply 2
Original post by Gingerbread101
Bringing summer clothes is pointless, bring warmer clothes (but if you're going clubbing, people don't wear coats when they go clubbing in the north), bring some more formal dresses for wearing indoors for formals :smile: it doesn't rain too much but it's often quite windy

People don't wear coats to go clubbing in the North!? See, this is why I elected to remain in London for my undergrad, It's a different world in the North. When I visited Durham everyone was really nice, and people on the bus smile at you instead of scowling at you, and everyone called you 'love' instead of... well, scowling at you.

I hadn't thought about formals... my undergrad uni and school were both super laid back, what sort of clothes do people wear? Pretty much eveything in my wardrobe is a summer dress or a work dress.
Original post by studentin11
People don't wear coats to go clubbing in the North!? See, this is why I elected to remain in London for my undergrad, It's a different world in the North. When I visited Durham everyone was really nice, and people on the bus smile at you instead of scowling at you, and everyone called you 'love' instead of... well, scowling at you.

I hadn't thought about formals... my undergrad uni and school were both super laid back, what sort of clothes do people wear? Pretty much eveything in my wardrobe is a summer dress or a work dress.

We don't feel the cold :tongue: the city is a really nice place :smile:

It's normally smarter party dresses (not full length ball gowns), often bodycon style :smile: Also bear in mind if you normally wear heels that there's a lot of hills and cobblestones so stiletto style heels aren't recommended (wedges are better)
Reply 4
Original post by Gingerbread101
We don't feel the cold :tongue: the city is a really nice place :smile:

It's normally smarter party dresses (not full length ball gowns), often bodycon style :smile: Also bear in mind if you normally wear heels that there's a lot of hills and cobblestones so stiletto style heels aren't recommended (wedges are better)

Ooh, I hadn't thought about that... I'm going to have to invest in wedges. Thank you for the heads up!

Quick Reply

Latest