The Student Room Group

Brexit caused by low levels of education, study finds

Before you shoot me down for this post, this study is peer reviewed in World Development Journal.

The level of higher education in an area was far more important than age, gender, the number of immigrants, or income in predicting the way an area voted, the researchers found.

Age and gender were both significant but not as important as education level, the researchers found. Income and number of immigrants in an area were not found to be a significant factor in how people voted.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/brexit-education-higher-university-study-university-leave-eu-remain-voters-educated-a7881441.html

Spoiler

Scroll to see replies

Weeelll that's a game changer. I always thought the majority of pro-brexiters were intelligent. (spot the sarcasm)
tbf a lot of brexiters were over 50's and I don't believe that there was as much pressure as there is now to get into university,
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 2
is that a matter of correlation or causation?
you said "cause", though.
"better education" as a proxy -> middle class -> middle class areas -> no experience with too much immigration (etc)
or: better education -> "I have a degree in media studies" -> "I am actually not intelligent even though I'm technically 'educated'"
I am a politics student and just graduated this year at a russell group uni
but why am I so vehemently against the EU? if better education (and I got a 2:1) CAUSES people to vote remain, why would someone like me not vote remain? do you even know what "cause" means, in that case? if being educated causes people to vote remain, and I can modestly call myself educated, why am I not a remainer? that makes no sense.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by shirt
"better education" as a proxy -> middle class -> middle class areas -> no experience with too much immigration (etc)
or: better education -> "I have a degree in media studies" -> "I am actually not intelligent even though I'm technically 'educated'"
but why am I so vehemently against the EU? if better education (and I got a 2:1) CAUSES people to vote remain, why would someone like me not vote remain?

I really should not have to explain this but obviously not every well educated person voted remain, however the study is saying that education was a very big factor. Those better educated generally voted remain while those less well educated voted leave.
Reply 4
Original post by Command&Conquer
I really should not have to explain this but obviously not every well educated person voted remain, however the study is saying that education was a very big factor. Those better educated generally voted remain while those less well educated voted leave.

you've not read my post then, have you
I said that middle class people are more likely to be "educated"
...and middle class people (those same people) also live in areas where there is less immigration
the statistics you're talking about probably weren't CONTROLLING for class when they did their study with some kind of non multivariate regression model (etc). they just took one look and well "WELL NOW - brexit voters were less likely to have been to university! that means that they were brexit voters BECAUSE they didn't go to university!" - it's like saying "WELL NOW - brexit voters were more likely to have lighter hair! that means that their lighter hair was the CAUSE of them voting brexit!" - it's statistics 101 - correlation is not causation. do I have to explain it in another way? the fact that most english speaking people in the world are white doesn't mean that they speak english BECAUSE they're white. in that case, why are spanish, french and german people not speaking english when most of them are white? woops!
(edited 6 years ago)
There is a widely documented leftwing bias that is strangling UK academia atm, freethinkers and actual scientists have been complaining about it for some time.

You don't think, that maybe, there is a correlation between education and remain because most people going through universities have been slightly politicised by a cohersively toxic education environment?
*Grabs popcorn*

ON a side note.... a wild guess says that most people who contribute to this thread will not actually read the damned study in question.
(edited 6 years ago)
What a load of rubbish - just a bunch of left-wing remoaner academics trying to look morally superior.
Not really surprising is it?
Reply 9
So? What exactly is this going to change. We're not going to waltz around demanding people demonstrate their academic ability before being able to vote for something. Even if Brexit were ''''caused''' (very wrong choice of word also?) by low-education it's going to change **** all.
We taught workers reading, to make them re
ad our propaganda!
Attachment not found

(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 11
Original post by Command&Conquer
Before you shoot me down for this post, this study is peer reviewed in World Development Journal.

The level of higher education in an area was far more important than age, gender, the number of immigrants, or income in predicting the way an area voted, the researchers found.

Age and gender were both significant but not as important as education level, the researchers found. Income and number of immigrants in an area were not found to be a significant factor in how people voted.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/brexit-education-higher-university-study-university-leave-eu-remain-voters-educated-a7881441.html

Spoiler

People without a degree are more likely to be older (since university education was a luxury in their youth) or live in the countryside, which has been strongly impacted by globalisation - hence why they mostly voted Brexit. It doesn't make them stupid as you seem to suggest.

I'm annoyed when I see left-wing Remainers complaining about "stupid" Brexiters, whereas they come from the categories of the population they claim to care about (the poor and elderly).
Original post by shirt
but why am I so vehemently against the EU? if better education (and I got a 2:1) CAUSES people to vote remain, why would someone like me not vote remain? do you even know what "cause" means, in that case? if being educated causes people to vote remain, and I can modestly call myself educated, why am I not a remainer? that makes no sense.

Yea, why would someone?

Why do some smokers never get cancer? Is that a matter of correlation or causation? :rollseyes:

Maybe you should have taken some classes in statistics, then again, no politicians ever understood numbers. Unless of course it was to misrepresent with statistics.

"that makes no sense" - you might be "educated", but you are certainly not very bright. So we did figure out why you voted Leave.
Original post by shirt
you've not read my post then, have you
I said that middle class people are more likely to be "educated"
...and middle class people (those same people) also live in areas where there is less immigration
the statistics you're talking about probably weren't CONTROLLING for class when they did their study with some kind of non multivariate regression model (etc). they just took one look and well "WELL NOW - brexit voters were less likely to have been to university! that means that they were brexit voters BECAUSE they didn't go to university!" - it's like saying "WELL NOW - brexit voters were more likely to have lighter hair! that means that their lighter hair was the CAUSE of them voting brexit!" - it's statistics 101 - correlation is not causation. do I have to explain it in another way? the fact that most english speaking people in the world are white doesn't mean that they speak english BECAUSE they're white. in that case, why are spanish, french and german people not speaking english when most of them are white? woops!

So you did do statistics? Your teacher would be embarrassed.
Original post by edd522
People without a degree are more likely to be older (since university education was a luxury in their youth) or live in the countryside, which has been strongly impacted by globalisation - hence why they mostly voted Brexit. It doesn't make them stupid as you seem to suggest.

I'm annoyed when I see left-wing Remainers complaining about "stupid" Brexiters, whereas they come from the categories of the population they claim to care about (the poor and elderly).

The problem is that exactly that group that thinks they would fare better outside the EU, won't. The EU is not the problem for them. Problems of globalization will not be gone outside the EU.
More pseudoscience twaddle from the Independent - the newspaper with no news.

One of the most vocal Leave campaigners I have met has a PhD in engineering.
An article based on one study, anything for a story amirite?
People with formal higher educational qualifications were more likely to vote remain than those with no formal higher education qualifications. It's an interesting observation is all. Note that more education does not mean the same as greater intelligence.
Reply 18
Original post by yudothis
Yea, why would someone?

Why do some smokers never get cancer? Is that a matter of correlation or causation? :rollseyes:

Maybe you should have taken some classes in statistics, then again, no politicians ever understood numbers. Unless of course it was to misrepresent with statistics.

"that makes no sense" - you might be "educated", but you are certainly not very bright. So we did figure out why you voted Leave.

yet here you are telling me that correlation *does* equal causation?
can you please elaborate on this? you can't be serious. again, both of you very clearly didn't read everything I wrote.
(edited 6 years ago)
The Independent reports that "A slight increase in higher education could have kept Britain in the EU".

The study finds that, more so than any other factor, Brexit was caused by low levels of education.

If just 3% more of the UK's population gone to uni, we would have voted to remain, say the researchers at the uni of Leicester.

"The level of higher education in an area was far more important than age, gender, the number of immigrants, or income in predicting the way an area voted, the researchers found"

They also found that if 7% less people had voted, the vote would also have likely have changed to Remain.

It's also been reported today that the UK is paying the EU less than half of what Brexit campaigners said during the campaign.

What do y'all think of these findings? Do you agree that lower levels of education contributed to Brexit? With more and more people going to uni, what do you think would've happened had we been five years ahead, when the amount of people at uni is expected to rise? Did you go to uni/ are you at uni and voted leave? Or did you not go to uni and vote?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending