Study Medicine in Europe Watch

WonderWatson
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
Hey, I’m thinking about studying medicine in Europe as I can’t in the UK. I’m thinking of going to Charles University the First Faculty of Medicine in Prague as it has a very good reputation when it comes to medicine but I don’t know a lot of people who have gone to study there from the UK. My second option is Plovdiv Medical University in Bulgaria. I guess Bulgaria is cheaper in terms of accommodation etc but Charles University seems to have a better reputation and facilities which makes it harder to get a place. I can see more people go to Bulgaria from the UK and there are more agencies that work with Bulgarian universities. I can only think of one that helps you get into a few universities in Czech. Can someone give me any advise and help me decide? Thank you.
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
Dr Daniela
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Is anyone planning to join any graduate programs in Europe ?
Danathomas97
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by WonderWatson)
Hey, I’m thinking about studying medicine in Europe as I can’t in the UK. I’m thinking of going to Charles University the First Faculty of Medicine in Prague as it has a very good reputation when it comes to medicine but I don’t know a lot of people who have gone to study there from the UK. My second option is Plovdiv Medical University in Bulgaria. I guess Bulgaria is cheaper in terms of accommodation etc but Charles University seems to have a better reputation and facilities which makes it harder to get a place. I can see more people go to Bulgaria from the UK and there are more agencies that work with Bulgarian universities. I can only think of one that helps you get into a few universities in Czech. Can someone give me any advise and help me decide? Thank you.
I'm looking at studying medicine abroad as well, I know Plovdiv is a really nice area as I've been on holiday to a ski resort close 3 times and only hear good things! I have no idea where to start when it comes to applying. The biggest perk for myself is not having to sit ucat or gamsat, as I am doing an undergrad degree at the minute and am a bit out of touch with that side of things
Danathomas97
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Dr Daniela)
Is anyone planning to join any graduate programs in Europe ?
Hi, I'm currently thinking of applying for grad entry medicine, I would like to go for it in Bulgaria, as my family are wanting to migrate there and I have a little knowledge on local areas, how is your application going?
Dr Daniela
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Danathomas97)
Hi, I'm currently thinking of applying for grad entry medicine, I would like to go for it in Bulgaria, as my family are wanting to migrate there and I have a little knowledge on local areas, how is your application going?
Hey bulgaria is very nice. they have very good unies in sofia and a city called varna. My best friend studies there and he loves it, the university is near the beach and has an english teaching section. most students over there i understand are from UK,GERMANY and USA. I will go to visit him next month, he is doing dentistry in english currently in the second year.
Dr Daniela
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
hey studying in europe is a good option if you cant get a place in the UK, bulgaria is popular but I would go to varna as it is near the beach, much more fun and a better university in all, plenty of british graduates there. charles university have a very annoying entrance test a better option i would say would be slovakia (same price in regards to fees). My nephew is studying in Kosice, Slovakia great quality education and they arrange exams in the UK. So you can sit it near home without traveling.
Dr Daniela
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
I think only graduate programs available are in Dnipro Medical Institute, Ukraine. Poznan, Poland and maybe New vision University , Georgia. Check those out as in bulgaria you will have to start from the first year. However, i only know people who have joined the grad entry in Ukraine
Danathomas97
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Hey bulgaria is very nice. they have very good unies in sofia and a city called varna. My best friend studies there and he loves it, the university is near the beach and has an english teaching section. most students over there i understand are from UK,GERMANY and USA. I will go to visit him next month, he is doing dentistry in english currently in the second year.
Do you know anyone who has gone through agencies to apply, ive looked at study medicine abroad and tutelage but I cant find any genuine reviews, so im a bit skeptical. Im currently looking at plovdiv as ive been on holiday often to areas around it
Danathomas97
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Also, has anyone gone directly to the university? If so how did you get your A levels etc translated and legalized?
WonderWatson
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
I'm looking at studying medicine abroad as well, I know Plovdiv is a really nice area as I've been on holiday to a ski resort close 3 times and only hear good things! I have no idea where to start when it comes to applying. The biggest perk for myself is not having to sit ucat or gamsat, as I am doing an undergrad degree at the minute and am a bit out of touch with that side of things
I applied last year to Plovdiv MU through an agency called InterHECS due to some financial issues I was forced to take a gap year and this time round I have more time to look at my options as last time the application process was very rushed. Prague is just simply beautiful but it’s much more expensive and I’m finding it very hard to a find affordable flat near the uni that I like at the moment. Plovdiv seems like a very nice area. He hat would you say it’s like in Plovdiv in terms of safety. As in walking home from at night in the dark?
messori
Report 2 weeks ago
I generally would never apply through an agency as they tend to rip you off. If you're looking for a decent (yet heavily intensive) graduate program I would recommend Poznan. Every graduate minus 2 (who failed the SJT) made it back to the UK last year in the Deaneries of their choice. Only issue I can see right now with studying outside the UK is Brexit and the UKMLA, so it might be something to consider when applying abroad.
Ayan Khan
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Have you guys got any experience with doing medicine in places like Bulgaria, Romania, Hungary, etc..? Please tell me about them.
Steven1234#
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
I've also considered Graduate medicine in Europe. The biggest problem i'm facing is whether studying in a private university is worth the risk. Grad entry seems to only be in private universities, except in Poland. I've noticed a lot of for profit medical universities around. What if they terminate operation and your forced to leave or they termiinate before you can gain general registration. That could end in a very sticky situation. I like Graduate entry in Poland but the graduate fees are quite high.
Dr Daniela
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Do you know anyone who has gone through agencies to apply, ive looked at study medicine abroad and tutelage but I cant find any genuine reviews, so im a bit skeptical. Im currently looking at plovdiv as ive been on holiday often to areas around it
it is important to get an agency with good reviews as well as expperience and that can provide you with on ground support when you arrive and support you a little with settling in, probably the two best ones I know about and have often met students who have come through them are a Study medicine Europa and the other one is also British called Medlink Students. Give those a call and see what they can offer you.
Ayan Khan
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Hey man, I was also wandering about studying medicine in Europe. I was thinking more around Romania or so, have any of you guys got any thoughts or experience with it? I was looking at going straight into medicine, not as a grad student. Plus, I was thinking of maybe doing an Access Course instead of A-Levels if any of you guys have any experience with that. Thanks a lot
Last edited by Ayan Khan; 2 weeks ago
Dr Daniela
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
I applied last year to Plovdiv MU through an agency called InterHECS due to some financial issues I was forced to take a gap year and this time round I have more time to look at my options as last time the application process was very rushed. Prague is just simply beautiful but it’s much more expensive and I’m finding it very hard to a find affordable flat near the uni that I like at the moment. Plovdiv seems like a very nice area. He hat would you say it’s like in Plovdiv in terms of safety. As in walking home from at night in the dark?
Dont give up on your dream keep going and hopefully things will work out next time round, maybe if you are having financial problems try considering cheaper options as you can find good universities for around 5000€/ year compared to charles in Prague which is double. the majority of student cities tend to be safe these days, try to stay away from the capitals as they are a little busier and more expensive to live in. But definitely wish good luck this year
Dr Daniela
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Ayan Khan)
Have you guys got any experience with doing medicine in places like Bulgaria, Romania, Hungary, etc..? Please tell me about them.
I completed my medical studies in Europe. I can only say that it was one of the best experiences of my life I would definietly recomend it. Bulgaria and Romania are definelty more affordable, but I must say that Budapest in Hungary is probably the best city in Europe it is by far my favorite city to live in but the fees are very expensive, if you can afford it go there
Dr Daniela
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Steven1234#)
I've also considered Graduate medicine in Europe. The biggest problem i'm facing is whether studying in a private university is worth the risk. Grad entry seems to only be in private universities, except in Poland. I've noticed a lot of for profit medical universities around. What if they terminate operation and your forced to leave or they termiinate before you can gain general registration. That could end in a very sticky situation. I like Graduate entry in Poland but the graduate fees are quite high.
I would not worry about the university if it is public or private, as long as it is recognised by the GMC. It is very far fetched that a university would close down a program as the ministry of education in that country will have conditions and very heavy regulations that would prevent such a matter. However, these private university seem to be performing quite well in the the last few years especially in Europe, for example ARAD in ROMANIA, Titu in Bucharest. They seem to be growing in stature and reputation.
Dr Daniela
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Ayan Khan)
Hey man, I was also wandering about studying medicine in Europe. I was thinking more around Romania or so, have any of you guys got any thoughts or experience with it? I was looking at going straight into medicine, not as a grad student. Plus, I was thinking of maybe doing an Access Course instead of A-Levels if any of you guys have any experience with that. Thanks a lot
i can only say it is a great Idea to study in Europe. I have spent 6 years there and I loved every moment of it. It is not very difficult to get a place as long as you have all your documents in order. However, you will need to have Alevels in Biology and Chemistry to enter in Romania. However other countries would allow you to start medicine with just your GCSEs or access to learning or Betc
Ayan Khan
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
i can only say it is a great Idea to study in Europe. I have spent 6 years there and I loved every moment of it. It is not very difficult to get a place as long as you have all your documents in order. However, you will need to have Alevels in Biology and Chemistry to enter in Romania. However other countries would allow you to start medicine with just your GCSEs or access to learning or Betc
Thank you so much, this is incredibly useful information I’ll start doing some more research then!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Roehampton
    Department of Media, Culture and Language; School of Education; Business School Undergraduate
    Tue, 19 Feb '19
  • Edge Hill University
    Undergraduate and Postgraduate - Campus Tour Undergraduate
    Tue, 19 Feb '19
  • University of Kent
    Sciences, Social Sciences and Humanities Further education
    Tue, 19 Feb '19

Do you give blood?

Yes (63)
8.33%
I used to but I don't now (19)
2.51%