The Student Room Group

Have I messed up my chances?

Long story short. I got my international a-level results today and I got AACC (embarrassing I know) , so I've pretty much missed out on Ucl and Bristol for compsci.

What should I do at this stage, to give me any chance of securing a front office job (I have an insight day only)? Am I just left to networking?

Are their any semi-targets uni's which would accept my grades??
Look at all of the uni's on 'whichuni' try looking at the ones with the lower grade requirements, then contact the faculties and ask what you can do in order to get a place. Your grades certainly aren't bad so you should get in somewhere decent.👍🏻👍🏻 Good luck!
Nottingham (a semi-target) may take you on for clearing, I believe they give offers of ABB for Comp Sci. As someone who's gone through what you are (with worse grades mind you, heres my $0.02

1) Look through clearing (idk if thats possible for int students), and try get into semi-target at least. This should be your number 1 priority.

2) If you have the time, Take a gap year and re-do your C grades

3) Soldier through your AACC (if it's 4 a-levels, technically you meet the ucas requirements for IBs, except those who only take top 3 and want 360) and get into a good uni with solid rep, and hustle like mad.

Just to motivate you, i got BBC at A-levels (In hindsight, i was a really immature student), didnt get anything in first year apart from some non-convertible insight days. In second year, got rejected from everywhere. Except the HF where I am now, which I got because the CIO liked my grit and personality, and the fact that everyone around me when meeting him were absolute invalids.

You have not messed up your chances, you've just made it more difficult to break in. But that difficulty will help you develop more as a person, and you might even be grateful for it in the future.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by shyperson
Long story short. I got my international a-level results today and I got AACC (embarrassing I know) , so I've pretty much missed out on Ucl and Bristol for compsci.

What should I do at this stage, to give me any chance of securing a front office job (I have an insight day only)? Am I just left to networking?

Are their any semi-targets uni's which would accept my grades??

Why not just retake one of the Cs?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Original post by Princepieman
Why not just retake one of the Cs?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Probably would have done that, but I have taken my exam over 3 years. So that would be impossible for me aswell as it looking bad for prospective employers. If I was to get into a semi-target, do they care enough about my results to reject me before looking at the insight days and other achievements I have etc.
Reply 5
Original post by AenigmaFx
Nottingham (a semi-target) may take you on for clearing, I believe they give offers of ABB for Comp Sci. As someone who's gone through what you are (with worse grades mind you, heres my $0.02

1) Look through clearing (idk if thats possible for int students), and try get into semi-target at least. This should be your number 1 priority.

2) If you have the time, Take a gap year and re-do your C grades

3) Soldier through your AACC (if it's 4 a-levels, technically you meet the ucas requirements for IBs, except those who only take top 3 and want 360) and get into a good uni with solid rep, and hustle like mad.

Just to motivate you, i got BBC at A-levels (In hindsight, i was a really immature student), didnt get anything in first year apart from some non-convertible insight days. In second year, got rejected from everywhere. Except the HF where I am now, which I got because the CIO liked my grit and personality, and the fact that everyone around me when meeting him were absolute invalids.

You have not messed up your chances, you've just made it more difficult to break in. But that difficulty will help you develop more as a person, and you might even be grateful for it in the future.

Hey mate thanks for the heads-up for Notts and for your motivation, I see a lot of myself in you. Are you free to PM later?
Hey mate thanks for the heads-up for Notts and for your motivation, I see a lot of myself in you. Are you free to PM later?

Feel free to PM me whenever, i will try reply as soon as I can :smile:
Probably would have done that, but I have taken my exam over 3 years. So that would be impossible for me aswell as it looking bad for prospective employers. If I was to get into a semi-target, do they care enough about my results to reject me before looking at the insight days and other achievements I have etc.

Do they really care about that? :O

I remember reading it for one of the employers that A-levels must be taken over 2 years. I don't remember who it was though :frown: I hope I'm not making this up :frown:

Not the end of the world to be fair.. You could end up alright, one of my mates got AAC and is a current ibd intern.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Not the end of the world. How about looking at Exeter, Nottingham, Bath, KCL may take you on with your grades?

Whatever happens though, a lot of networking is needed!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending