The Student Room Group

First peircing (Navel) Questions and Concerns

Hello! I've been thinking about getting a piercing (other than ears) since I was little. The beginning of the summer I went with a friend to our local tattoo and piercing shop (they're really good and highly recommended by the people I've talked to) where my friend got her lip pierced and the people were awesome and made sure my friend knew what she was getting into as well as made sure she ate breakfast/lunch that day etc.

I might have gone in to re-do my ears (they healed over years ago) but they always seemed to catch my hair and they just weren't appealing to me. I like the idea of a belly button piercing because if need be I can hide it and generally I think I would look pretty good with one (sorry I don't want to sound conceited :/ but no other way to say it XD )

What are your guy's opinions (personal, professional, medical?) on belly button piercings? Is it worth it? If you have one do you regret getting it? Other things someone new to body accessories should be aware of?

The shop here does most piercings for people 16+ without parental consent (my Mum says I can do what I want but she won't sign off on anything XD, also I'm 16 going on 17), but I am wondering what any possible complications there could be? I've done quite a bit of researching but I would like a few other people's direct answers.

Also I can't find a straight answer for 'How much would Anti-Biotics be if a Navel Piercing is to get infected?' (I'm in Central Alberta, Canada).

Thank you for any answer!
Original post by Nightwinging.It
Hello! I've been thinking about getting a piercing (other than ears) since I was little. The beginning of the summer I went with a friend to our local tattoo and piercing shop (they're really good and highly recommended by the people I've talked to) where my friend got her lip pierced and the people were awesome and made sure my friend knew what she was getting into as well as made sure she ate breakfast/lunch that day etc.

I might have gone in to re-do my ears (they healed over years ago) but they always seemed to catch my hair and they just weren't appealing to me. I like the idea of a belly button piercing because if need be I can hide it and generally I think I would look pretty good with one (sorry I don't want to sound conceited :/ but no other way to say it XD )

What are your guy's opinions (personal, professional, medical?) on belly button piercings? Is it worth it? If you have one do you regret getting it? Other things someone new to body accessories should be aware of?

The shop here does most piercings for people 16+ without parental consent (my Mum says I can do what I want but she won't sign off on anything XD, also I'm 16 going on 17), but I am wondering what any possible complications there could be? I've done quite a bit of researching but I would like a few other people's direct answers.

Also I can't find a straight answer for 'How much would Anti-Biotics be if a Navel Piercing is to get infected?' (I'm in Central Alberta, Canada).

Thank you for any answer!

I had mine done January 2016. It's been one of my least problematic piercings to date and it's really quite easy to take care of. Avoid tight clothing and baths/swimming pools for the first two weeks (longer if you just want to be extra cautious - but it's not necessary!), and make sure to get it wet as little as possible. After the first two weeks I'd clean it with a small amount of unscented antibacterial soap in the shower once a day and then do a 5-10min sea salt soak afterward.

From what I can see, Canada requires people to be at least 16 to be able to sign the form yourself, so you should be fine there. You may need to provide ID to prove your age though - i.e. passport.

Anti-biotic prices can alternate and it would really depend on what your doctor would prescribe for you. If you take care of it well it won't get infected, so it's hopefully nothing you would have to worry about. I've ten piercings so far and even though some have developed bumps/scarring at times none have ever gone as far as infection.
Awesome! Thanks for your answer.
Original post by sinfonietta
I had mine done January 2016. It's been one of my least problematic piercings to date and it's really quite easy to take care of. Avoid tight clothing and baths/swimming pools for the first two weeks (longer if you just want to be extra cautious - but it's not necessary!), and make sure to get it wet as little as possible. After the first two weeks I'd clean it with a small amount of unscented antibacterial soap in the shower once a day and then do a 5-10min sea salt soak afterward.

From what I can see, Canada requires people to be at least 16 to be able to sign the form yourself, so you should be fine there. You may need to provide ID to prove your age though - i.e. passport.

Anti-biotic prices can alternate and it would really depend on what your doctor would prescribe for you. If you take care of it well it won't get infected, so it's hopefully nothing you would have to worry about. I've ten piercings so far and even though some have developed bumps/scarring at times none have ever gone as far as infection.

Quick Reply

Latest